Anybody here familiar with iPads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here familiar with iPads?

Mine is five or six years old (roughly). Suddenly there seem to be two issues: sometimes the battery doesn't charge properly no matter how long it's left plugged in; and now it's having extreme problems connecting with WiFi. And it's not the WiFi because my desktop and cellphone have no problems.

Any ideas? Is my iPad coming to the end of its useful life?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

The battery issue is likely that the battery is overheating while trying to charge and the safety cutout is stopping it from charging any more. If it were mine, I would be looking to see if any part of the iPad looks like it's starting to bulge. That would be a sure sign that the battery is going bad. It's old enough for this to possibly happen. The bad thing about this kind of battery failing is that they can catch fire just sitting there.

As for the Wifi, there could be several issues causing this. Everything from the iPad just needing to be reset to the antenna getting unplugged from the motherboard (a ballooning battery can pull the cable loose.)

Don't bother taking it to the Apple store unless you still have the Applecare extended warranty. They will charge more to fix it than a new iPad costs. Look for a local shop that knows how to replace the battery (not an authorized Apple 3rd party repair shop.)

With any luck you just had a failing battery and not a failing motherboard. A battery should be around $150 to replace. The useful life of an apple device ends when they are too old to be updated to the newest version of iOS, and that is only because the apps don't work with older versions of iOS.

Comment

I don't know apple products - but also: take a look at the charger port and the cable itself. See if either of those look odd/frayed/dirty.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

ooo... I forgot that Apple cables like to go bad. Even a cable that looks good can be bad and charging issues is normally the only clue. I tend to replace my charge cables once a year

Comment

Working...
        X