does anyone here use GIMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone here use GIMP?

By that I mean GNU Image Manipulation Program... It's a free graphics artwork program. I use a similar program at work (Corel) and would like to have one at home but am too cheap to buy. I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience with GIMP and would recommend it to someone who wants to do home projects.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

I use it. It can be a little clunky at times if you're familiar with Photoshop. But there are a number of resources online that can show you how to do pretty much anything you might want to do with it. There are some features that Photoshop has that it doesn't, as far as I know (A "drop shadow" effect, for instance. You have to manually do it in GIMP, at least the last time I checked you had to). Other than that, it has many of the same tools you would likely run into with Corel (I've never used Corel, though). And I've never tried, but apparently you can also use scripts with it (as in write small scripts for effects or whatever).

Also, you should look into InkScape if you want to do "Illustrator" type graphics (SVG, etc.). It's free as well.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I use it as well, but as a rank amateur, for only minor stuff; I like it. It has a learning curve, but if you're used to Photoshop and the like, you should have little trouble adjusting. It's been around for long enough that it's quite robust and has plenty of free tutorials and guides out there made by end users to make it do pretty much anything you'd like it to do. One minor thing of note - If you want it to save a file as something other than its native format (XCF), you want "Export As..." from the File menu, not "Save As..." Note that it cannot read PS (et al) formats, though a converter or extension may exist that is usable for that purpose.

PS When searching for info related to it, you may want to use "thegimp" (one word) as a search operator.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Looks like it will do PSD, but not PSB files.
        https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/PSD_support

I would suggest that El Pollo Loco get both GIMP and InkScape. And if interested in 3D Graphics, check into Blender.

Comment

For other alternatives, there's https://jspaint.app which is a fully in-browser javascript clone of Photoshop, which is technically amazing in and of itself. For something installable locally, you could also check out https://www.glimpse-editor.org - this is a fork of GIMP, which is designed to be more user-friendly both in look, feel, and - let's be honest - name. it's also designed to be more Photoshop-ish in appearance and feel.

Commercially, Corel's been running all kinds of deals recently, I recently learned that they own Paint Shop Pro now which was the Photoshop alternative of choice twenty years ago! Clip Studio Paint is another very solid commercial alternative which often runs 50% off deals, and unlike Photoshop that's a one-time fee rather than a subscription.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

"Bring out the Gimp."

Comment

I've used the GIMP for quite a few years, since before they started insisting on saving everything to their own image format. I did not start scripting stuff, or getting into advanced features; I was just using it to either annotate an image or to blend two images together manually.

There was a lot of irritation from the user base when The Devs decided that their audience was the professional graphic artist, and that dictated a number of changes that interfered with the work flow of the amateur/casual users (which to me appeared to be the larger number of users). I was able to do stuff like re-name "Save As JPEG" to "Save" so that I didn't have to deal with the GIMP format; I was opening JPEG files and saving JPEG files, after all.

There's a definite learning curve, and while it can do most of the Photoshop things, it isn't Photoshop.
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                For something installable locally, you could also check out https://www.glimpse-editor.org - this is a fork of GIMP, which is designed to be more user-friendly both in look, feel, and - let's be honest - name. it's also designed to be more Photoshop-ish in appearance and feel.
                I know at one point there was something called GimpShop. Is that what this is, but just under a different name?

Comment

No idea, it'll probably be on the site somewhere if it is.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I use it to clip images out of PDF's. I just can't get the editing functions right. If I need to add a text box or cover something I then use paint. Prob really good for someone who knows what they are doing.
                    AkaiKitsune
                    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
                    X