Venting about phone upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting about phone upgrade

So, my old phone has started to act up. The battery, which I had replaced about 18 months ago, discharges very rapidly with just about any use at all.

It appears to be time to upgrade. Well, I knew this was coming eventually, so I do have money set aside for it. Still, the expense is considerable. And I'm leaving town tomorrow, so it would be good to have a phone that actually can be relied on to work.

So I head to my local iFruit store and decide on a new phone. The rep does some magic so that I don't have to physically move the SIM card from the one phone to the other; when I turn the new phone on the old one will stop working. No problem. He tells me that the process of migrating the data from the one to the other may take quite a long time, so I decide to do it at home.

I turn on the new phone and connect it to my laptop, to restore the old phone's backup onto it. But it turns out my laptop is too old to talk to the new phone without some significant upgrades. But the phones can talk to each other and do the migration, as long as I do a reset on the new phone to basically start over again.

Apparently the reset also undid the magic for the SIM card. So now I have a new phone that can't talk to the cellular network, and has very limited functionality because of some set-up issues where I need to get cellular data in order to proceed with the setup. And I have an old phone that will no longer talk to the cellular network because it was replaced by the new phone. Which also doesn't work...

ARGH!!!

Luckily, it didn't cost me any money to move my flight back later in the day so I can head back to the iFruit store and hopefully get this worked out...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

That is so frustrating! I'm not an iFruit fan to begin with so I know I'd be about ready to throw the phone down the garburator at this point if I were you. Good luck!

Comment

Well, they put in a physical SIM card for me at the store.

But it turns out that I had a second iFruit account that I didn't remember, and that was the one that had downloaded (and/or paid) for all of my apps. So many of them are not very usable. And getting the password reset on that second account has proven to be a lengthy and annoying process.

Some apps I can blow away and re-install, and they work fine. Those are apps where the user data is stored remotely, such as a mail server. I have a lot of progress made in several games that I really don't want to lose, and at least some of that seems to be stored locally on the phone. I'm hoping that once I get the password reset on the other account those will install and use the existing data... We'll see.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

Fortunately everything eventually worked out. I was able to recover the second account and it got all of my stuff loaded and kept the old data.

One odd thing: The "maximum days played in a row" streak in one game is one day longer than the "current days in a row", and has been one longer for the past several weeks...

Comment

Time travel will do that to ya, NP.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	drunkendragon tardis keychain.png
Views:	104
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2073950
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X