This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Drive?

I'm trying to be a good computer user, so I download the free AVG antivirus and on the first run it reboots my computer and does a scan before Windows comes up and I see a line on the screen about "Drive is dirty".

So my big question is, "Is there some way to clean out the dust trolls from the drive?" I'm thinking I may end up having to save up and drag the beast to a shop.
    Yes I used the canned air to blow it out when I installed the new RAM a while back.

Any advise would help.
    Meeeeoooow.....
    Still missing you, Plaid

Some portion of this is guess work, since I don't normally deal with seeing that. The times that I have, though, here's what I've seen.

Basically, Windows is doing a scandisk/checkdisk/something very similar. For one reason or another, Windows thinks this drive needs some extra treatment during this reboot. In this case, AVG likely told Windows to do it.

In other words, "The drive is dirty" just is Windows way of saying "Hang on a minute. I gotta check over this drive to make sure it's all good for you. BRB."

That's been my observations on it, anyway.

Comment

If it's referring to the hard drive, it means one of two things...

1) The drive is, in some way, "dirty." That is, data-wise. This could indicate that multiple tests need run, a defrag, basic file cleanup, possibly a surface scan, etc. In other words, all software.
      2) It literally is dirty, but not actually "inside" the hard drive. How AVG could detect that is unknown to me, but it's still a possibility.

Remember, though, opening a hard drive 99% of the time WILL invalidate your warranty. There isn't a reason I can personally think of to EVER open your hard drive. Here's what I would do...

1) Install all possible AVG updates.
      2) Turn off AVG temporarily and install all possible Windows updates.
      3) Check manufacturer's website to see if there are any related FAQs.
      4) Scandisk.
      5) Defrag.
      6) Run all possible scans for AVG.

It's a tedious process, but I don't believe AVG will complain anymore after this. As an added bonus, your computer should function a little better.
      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
        There isn't a reason I can personally think of to EVER open your hard drive.
        I've opened a drive a couple of times (in 15 years) when they wouldn't spin up. Plug it in (as a slave)and sit os desk, turn puter on. Push the platters, spinny disk. put the cover over the top and copy off as much surviving data as possible.
        Last edited by rvdammit; 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM. Reason: fix spelling
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Now I have ONE reason.

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
            Now I have ONE reason.
            Another:

A well flung single platter from a HDD will bite into a target not unlike a shuriken. Sharpen with ultra-fine grain sandpaper for better results.

Ask not why I know this.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I just envisioned a ninja well versed in the ways of IT walking around with a bunch of open HDDs, READY FOR TO STRIKE!

Comment

Working...
              X