Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Desktop, why you gotta be like that?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Desktop, why you gotta be like that?

Ok, so I recently reformatted my machine. It's a home-brewed concoction of parts, if you will. Win XP Pro SP2, completely updated, all drivers up to date, etc. I have an ASUS mobo, and I'm using their Firewall with Avast! for anti-virus. I run PowerDVD for my movies. I also installed Google Desktop (GD). Now, before I reformatted, I had an expired version of my school's Norton AV, and I used Spybot's TeaTimer. I had GD then, too.

Everything worked properly prior to reformat. So the problem was that after the reformat, my DVDs were not displaying picture in full screen when played with any media player- WinAmp, iTunes, Windows Media Player, PowerDVD's player, etc. Even in the default screen size, the picture would take a long time to show up, but sound worked fine. I started shutting down non-essential tasks running, like iTunesHelper, Pidgin, etc., and it wasn't until I shut down GD that my DVD player worked properly. I was also having an issue with my TV tuner card, and that seems to have been resolved with shutting down GD. I have since uninstalled GD, and everything works nicely. I don't really care since I never used it anyway... but has anyone else had a problem with GD? I can't imagine that my firewall would have been interfering with PowerDVD since the application doesn't use network resources... so is it Avast! that's causing the problem?
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

When you were reinstalling software after the reformat, you were downloading them from the net, right? Then it probably comes down to a new version. Check on GD's site and see if they offer downloads of previous versions.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

You can also try OldVersion for previous versions of popular software.

If you don't see what you're looking for there . . . try emailing them. They're constantly adding new titles.

Hope it helps
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
      X