This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice (memory issues)

I built my current system about 2 years ago with 2 512MB PC3200 paired Crucial Ballistix memory modules. About 2 months ago, they failed, I contacted tech support and got an RMA, and ordered another pair so the computer would still be working for my wife's work.

I got the replacements a little over a week later. They lasted about a month - blue screens and Windows file corruption. Made sure that the modules weren't working by putting them in another system, which would only continually reboot with them in. Again, talked to tech support, got an RMA, and sent them out.

I was impressed by the replacements to the replacements initially - they shipped them 3-day, and were their new lead-free PC4000 modules. But, they didn't even last a day. Put them in, worked with the computer for awhile, left the computer on to go to college, and when I came back, Windows was stuck on a blue-screen. On reboot, Windows claimed that a system file was corrupted. Removing the replacement modules fixed that. Again, put them in another system, constant reboot.

So, what should I do now? I'm fuming, and at this point, my confidence in Crucial is shaken - I'm concerned that the memory I purchased when I sent the first bad modules out will fail, and that the computer won't be available when my wife needs it. All I want is memory that works.

Oh, well, it looks like another bout with tech support.

After that many lemons, ask to talk to a supervisor, and tell them the problem you're having, and how many times you've had it. It almost sounds like you're getting rejects they've *tried* to fix, or something like that.

If you decide to go with a different brand, I've had nothing but good times with Cosair.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Indeed, Corsair is a great brand. I also wonder if perhaps your mobo isn't helping the failure of the ram along... Hey! Excuse to upgrade processor, mobo, vid card...
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

I chatted online with a tech, they said that there "must be a problem with the system" , and they want me to call their 2nd level tech support.

I'll find out what I can do tomorrow.

Shabo - If I could talk the wife into upgrading the computer... Actually, I'm hoping to get a 8800 GT 512MB card next year...

And I tested all slots with the memory I have currently working, and I haven't had a problem with that set (crosses fingers). If I go with a different brand, I'll probably get some basic memory for the HTPC and transfer my Kingston Hyper-X modules to the main one.

Comment

Well, after calling and talking with their tech, I got another RMA. I think what I'll do is when the 3rd replacement gets here, I'll put them in my HTPC, just to make sure that my main system isn't doing something weird. I'll take the Kingston out of the HTPC and put them in my main PC.

Oh, and when I posted, there was a new nVidia release - now I want the 8800 GTS 512MB card next year. Maybe, hopefully...

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
            Shabo - If I could talk the wife into upgrading the computer... Actually, I'm hoping to get a 8800 GT 512MB card next year...
            Alls you gotta do is get her hooked on some game, then explain to her how much better it will look with an upgrade... Granted, getting her hooked on the game might be a bit of a challenge, but never fear! It can be done!
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

Working...
            X