This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Question

So I have a 21" Dell monitor (actually a Sony Trinitron with a Dell nameplate on it), and I have an issue where the screen will slowly start to get fuzzy after a while. I don't mean the stuff where you can degauss and it clears up, this requires an actual power off-power on of the monitor. I've been told temp has nothing to do with it, but it definitely happens more when it gets cold out since we're on the ground floor and my computer desk is in the corner of two outside facing walls. This is actually the second one I've had, the first one did it much worse.

Is this one of those weird kind of quirks I hear happens with Trinitron monitors or do I need to get a sweater for it?
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

I'm assuming this is an LCD monitor here...

As you use it, it will heat up. Cold should not be an issue there. I would say it's probably a problem with the actual monitor (especially since the first one did the same thing), and I would recommend looking into getting a new one.

If it's a CRT... you should get an LCD.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

It's a CRT monitor, I'm probably going to end up getting a new one as soon as I pay off the new PC I just bought.
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Electron gun's out of alignment. The heat is causing it to be noticeable, but that's the issue. It's going to cost you just as much to get it repaired as it is to get an LCD monitor.

And don't you DARE ask to repair it yourself. Like a TV, there is enough stored power there to blow you through a wall if it discharges. Consider that amount going through your heart. Assuming you survive, you will be afraid to touch anything electrical for months.
        Last edited by lordlundar; 01-18-2008, 03:42 AM.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yup, those things are extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. LCD monitors have come way down in price lately. Check on Newegg. You'll find some good deals there. My dad just got himself a nice 19" widescreen to replace his CRT for less than $200 including shipping. CRTs aren't even worth the cost of fixing.
          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
          The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            Yup, those things are extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
            Those things are dangerous if you DO know what your doing. I've heard stories about repair work being needed because a repairman slipped during the repair and was shot across the room.

If you don't know what you're doing? I say again: DON'T TOUCH IT!
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
            X