X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD diagnostic tests

Hey all,

Hardware+Me = ehhhh...

I've learned how to troubleshoot some stuff, but I've never been great with hardware. Which leads me to this problem.

I have a 3ish year old Compaq (no jokes or comments, please) that seems to be slowing down in the past year. (768mb Ram, AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor, 150 gb HD, XP Pro)

First, I thought maybe something made it's way onto my computer (as totally unlikely as it sounds), but all the scans I ran came back clean.

I decided I'd just wipe it and start fresh, but then I had to turn off my internet for awhile to try to get my finances built back up. During that point, I really didn't see a reason to be on the computer, so I really didn't bother with anything.

When I got my internet turned back on, once again, I noticed things were running sluggishly. So, after Christmas, I did the big reformat. Sadly enough, it didn't really help.

Then came yesterday. I was on WoW and kept getting disconnected. Since I hadn't done it in forever, I figured a restart might help.

And it stuck on the Compaq splash screen. After two minutes, I was downright freaked and hit the power button. After another two minutes, and nearly passing out, I figured I'd better go take a shower, if I was going to have to drive the 30 miles to the nearest Best Buy for a new hard drive. When I got out of the shower, the computer was at the log on screen.

So, disaster averted for now, let's start coming up with disaster recovery plans for when I'm ready for them. After I back up my WoW addons, I'll have everything backed up, woot for reformat.

So, all of that is to ask, what are the best diagnostic tests that I can run? Could it be my HD or could I be totally screwed?

I need this computer to last me a few more years, then once my CC debts are paid off, I'll be able to afford to replace it. Hopefully with a custom built (that way, I can get my offical geek card)
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Two minutes at the Compaq screen? Yeesh. Something not right there, not at all (obviously).

Suggestions (sorry, no software here, since I don't know any non-destructive drive testing tools):
    1. Reboot several times in succession. See if this behavior is repeatable. If it is, proceed. If not, you will need to find another way to make the behavior happen, so that you know when you're done later.
    2. Open up the computer. Disconnect the HD, the floppy, the CD, and any add-in cards except the video (assuming it's not integrated). Disconnect all USB devices as well.
    3. Try booting the computer. If the Compaq screen passes quickly, then it's one of the add-in devices. If not, you might need to update your BIOS (consult manual for how to do so).
    4. Shut down, and re-attach devices one at a time. The order in which I would go is as follows: Floppy, CD-ROM, Hard drive, USB devices. Reboot between re-attach. Once your Compaq screen hangs, you have found your culprit.

Does it suck? Yes. Does it take time? Yes. Does it work? Yes. In fact, it's the only real way to narrow the problem down.

Oh, just thought of one other possibility: Check the CPU fan. Some CPUs will automatically step their speed down when the fan isn't doing enough. Make sure you've got good airflow coming from the CPU fan.

That's really all I've got.

Comment

What if you reboot in safe mode? what does that do?

Can you take a look @ event Viewer to see what all's happening?

Booter up and into safe mode. Check what alls running in task manager.

What's your rpm on the drive?

Grab one of these and use it.
      http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Backup data and get new drive if you need to.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
        Does it suck? Yes. Does it take time? Yes. Does it work? Yes. In fact, it's the only real way to narrow the problem down.
        Time and suckage?? LOL!!! I don't care! As long as I know what's wrong!

I wonder if it could be my fan. The bugger has been getting louder at random intervals. (which I notice now that my computer is in the bedroom, or rather, I moved the bedroom into what was the office and didn't want to disassemble my desk to move it. )

And anyways, I was going to have to crack the case to make sure I was IDE.

I'll take your advise, and Cutenoob's tomorrow after work. Heck, I might even take it in with me and take the air compressor to it. With two long haired cats who love being around the computer with me, it probably needs it.

Actually, I'll try safe mode now. At least I'll know if it does it again, and give you guy something to ponder until tomorrow evening.

Comment

Okay, didn't happen this time. While looking in the Application tab of the event viewer, I found this.

Event Type: Warning
          Event Source: Userenv
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 1517
          Date: 1/19/2008
          Time: 3:20:24 PM
          User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
          Computer: JENNI
          Description:
          Windows saved user JENNI\Technical.Angel registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
          Or not, as it seems to have been doing that since the reformat.

And, what does this mean?

Event Type: Error
          Event Source: Cdrom
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 7
          Date: 12/30/2007
          Time: 7:13:37 PM
          User: N/A
          Computer: JENNI
          Description:
          The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Comment

Whoa. I did not expect to see that sort of message in the event log (the second one).

Either the drive is going bad, or the disc in the drive is bad. Replace it, and toss the bad one.

Comment

TA:
              Pedersen's correct on the drive error.

As for the first one: run a registry cleaner/ checker. Crapcleaner works good, and what have you installed/uninstalled lately?

I also run Registry Booster. Works good too.

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

For a nice free utility, I recommend HDTune.

http://www.hdtune.com/

Comment

Also, do yourself a favor. Get your HD online. BBuy will charge you far more than you need to spend. Many places you can get free shipping, like zipzoomfly.com.

And... You can back up your entire wow folder, not just your addons. When you are done reformatting, copy the wow folder back to the program files folder, create a shortcut to the desktop of the launcher or program, whichever you prefer, and bam. No more 3 hours reinstalling the game. I reformat every 6 months or so, just because I'm bored and paranoid that something has gotten on my computer that I am unaware of.
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                    Whoa. I did not expect to see that sort of message in the event log (the second one).

Either the drive is going bad, or the disc in the drive is bad. Replace it, and toss the bad one.

Well, the CDrom went out over a year ago. I have a DVD-rw, and don't copy things, so I haven't missed the CD drive.

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                    TA:

As for the first one: run a registry cleaner/ checker. Crapcleaner works good, and what have you installed/uninstalled lately?

I also run Registry Booster. Works good too.

Cutenoob
                    As to what I've installed/uninstalled lately... everything!

I reformatted on the 28thish. I'll run those tools and see what pops up.

Quoth volatile View Post
                    For a nice free utility, I recommend HDTune.

http://www.hdtune.com/
                    I'll give that a spin.. Heh heh, hard drive, spin.. heh...... heh...... I really am funny.

[QUOTE=Shabo;258743]Also, do yourself a favor. Get your HD online. BBuy will charge you far more than you need to spend. Many places you can get free shipping, like zipzoomfly.com. [\quote]

The thing is, with my money situation, I know I can afford one from Best Buy, because I have a Best Buy credit card. I'll check the site, just in case, but I can't afford anything off the CC.

Quoth Shabo View Post
                    And... You can back up your entire wow folder, not just your addons. When you are done reformatting, copy the wow folder back to the program files folder, create a shortcut to the desktop of the launcher or program, whichever you prefer, and bam. No more 3 hours reinstalling the game. I reformat every 6 months or so, just because I'm bored and paranoid that something has gotten on my computer that I am unaware of.
                    hum... :: strokes invisible beard :: Not waiting out the patch?? Happy joyful.

As I finally got my new bed frame put together, I didn't tear my computer apart, but I'm doing that tonight, as I have permission to take the air compressor home. VROOOMMM!!!

Comment

Hey Technical Angel. I guess I'm back after a long hiatus.

After reading a few of your "problems", it may be the IDE controller. Sometimes they slowly go bad. The reason I think it's that is because you're getting errors on the CD and HD. Most likely it's an onboard controller, depending BIOS type.

You might be able to disable it and install a new IDE controller. Even if you can't disable it you should still be able to install a new controller. Unfortunately, it's really hard to figure out exactly which is responsible for the error (controller or the device itself).

I've had a few controllers go bad on me, which made it behave very much like you're describing.
                      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

My peek into the world of IDE controllers has scared me.

Can you suggest a card that might work for me?

Comment

You probably saw the data server type controllers cards. You won't need those very expensive cards.

I'm talking about cards like Sabrent controller.

But you have to make sure you get the one that matches the type of devices you have. Is your hard-drive an ATA, SATA, IDE, or some other type.

Newegg even have an SATA card for 10 bucks. Newegg main list. Once you know which connector type your hard-drive and CD drive is. Just click on the "TYPE" that you need.

Comment

Is ATA and IDE pretty much the same thing?

Comment

Yes. I guess my age is showing

Comment

Working...
                              X