This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Show idea: Pimp my PC?

So I sent in myt system specs to one of our techs (After weaseling about it a week because I have a serious case of authoriphobia when it comes to people like techs. I hate thinkingl ike I'm interrupting their work with personal problems.).

Basically I asked him what kind of ram would be best. he wanted my system info, so I sent a Belarc report that I had to him.

Well, he called me back after getting the email, he AND another guy (I'll call him Rach) were looking at my specs, muttering about 'how did they do that?" and stuff.

Well, they want me to bring in the PC so they can look at it.

They mentioned new ram, a bigger HD (they even said they ahd a few kicking around the shop I could have!), /and/ a comment about overclocking the PC, all for free.

I'm a bit afraid of what my PC will be doing when I get it back, hehee...

Maybe it will finally run NWN properly. I keep getting an odd 'Display driver failure'.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

It'll have gold-plated power supply rims...err, ah..."fans." Plus, you hit certain buttons on the keyboard and...HYDRAULICS!
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

The first computer with 17 bajillion watts of colon blowing bass complete with no less then 11 LCD monitors. But it would all be dayglow orange.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Don't forget the fuzzy dice & the spanish jumpers..lol.

Comment

Well, I asked the tech today if he'd worked on my computer. He looked at me and asked "You play World fo Warcraft dont you?"

"Actually its Neverwinter nights, heheee..."

So he said he'd work on it right then (It was 7:15) and he did... he and the other PC tech (we're a mac store remember, shhhh) got more RAM for me (a full gig up from about 508 or so!!!), and a 80 gig HD. They also admitted the layout of the entire mb was weird.

So yay. PC home tonight, installing the Evil That Is XP tonight too. Cross fingers!

ETA: The amount of feathers and bird dust in the computer was embarassing!

The tech said though that at least it wasn't tobacco smoke gunk!

*note to self, find out what kind of beer the tech likes*
          Last edited by Horsetuna; 02-06-2008, 01:42 AM.

Comment

computer wont turn on. Its getting power but the power button will not work.

Comment

On the back of the computer, where the power supply is.. is the switch set in the off position?

Sometimes switched power supplies can be switched off and the power button doesn't work..

That or possible Power Switch LED on the motherboard might not be plugged in right... maybe bad power supply.
              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Ditto. Also make sure the voltage is set correctly on the power supply. If you're in the US and it's set to the wrong voltage, it just won't turn on right. If it's the vice versa (in the UK and you use the US voltage), it could be damaging, from what I understand.
                You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

well, since i'm Not The Tech, I am not touching it.

But we did check the back switch, and the MB is getting power (lights are coming on). he'll check the power button tomorrow.

Until then...

Grr. I can't find that 'going nuts' smiley.

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                    *note to self, find out what kind of beer the tech likes*
                    EXCELLENT idea! Wish more "pro bono" clients were like you.

Will keep fingers crossed that the no boot is an easy fix.

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                    ETA: The amount of feathers and bird dust in the computer was embarassing!
                    But was it THIS embarrassing?

P.S. You should pitch your "Pimp My PC" idea to someone like G4 or PC Magazine....
                    Last edited by sms001; 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

:shock: not THAT embarassing, thank goodness! But we had to can-air it out TWICE.

Comment

most cases tend to collect dust in the front bezel (who ever though putting and exhust their would be a good idea?) make sure to clean them anytime you do spring cleaning things to to urn better when they arent in a dust blanket... i dusted my case and the juryrigged therometer measured a 10 degree internal temperature

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                          most cases tend to collect dust in the front bezel (who ever though putting and exhust their would be a good idea?) make sure to clean them anytime you do spring cleaning things to to urn better when they arent in a dust blanket... i dusted my case and the juryrigged therometer measured a 10 degree internal temperature
                          Fans on the front should be configured as intakes, so the airflow runs front to back. (Power supply fans are exhausts) Quality cases put filters on these.
                          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            EXCELLENT idea! Wish more "pro bono" clients were like you.

Will keep fingers crossed that the no boot is an easy fix.

But was it THIS embarrassing?

[ATTACH]567[/ATTACH]

P.S. You should pitch your "Pimp My PC" idea to someone like G4 or PC Magazine....
                            Now that was just plain disgusting.

Pimping up my old desktop is one of my projects for this year . . . so far the b/f and I have opened it up once to try to put additional RAM in.

Bad part is . . . out of the 8 or so 64MB RAM sticks he had brought with him, none of them were long enough to fit. Apparently Gateway didn't want owners to pump up anything . . . so now it's back to the drawing board.

And no, mine did not look like the above picture. In fact, it was pretty damn clean (I had blown it out with my trusty can of air several months ago before I stored it.)

I like the show idea . . . of course, I'd seen some pimping stuff from time to time back when "The Screen Savers" was on. See -through computer cases . . tinted ones, elaborate designs.

I'm not sure how I want my outside to look, but I'm looking to up the RAM, the processor (it has an Intel P3-500 Mhz) put in a new sound card with audio/vid connections to connect a tape deck or stereo to it, ethernet card and put XP on it. And I'm looking for a flat screen monitor too.

I'll worry about the cosmetics later. But I'm leaning toward skinning it in a rose pattern, but I'll do some looking around for ideas first before I alter the case.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                            X