This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be worth fixing?

The computer problems never seem to end in this house...

While I was in the middle of rebuilding my computer after it got zapped last week, the monitor to my wife's computer decided to quit working. It shut off, and if you turned on the power switch, the power LED would come on for a second and then shut back off.

My son seems to have a gift for fixing things, so I let him have a look at it. There's a circuit board that has what looks like a light scorch mark, and several capacitors that are bulging on the tops. Needless to say, he wasn't able to do anything with it.

I was about to throw it out, but then I got to thinking that it's just the circuit board that screwed, and the screen itself seems to be fine. Is something like that worth taking to the repair shop, or should we just toss it and get a new monitor? The thing wasn't very old, I got it for her two Christmases ago.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Well, if he's such a fixer guy, why not let him ATTEMPT to fix it - if it's the caps that are bulging. Could replace/ solder new ones in.

Is the warranty gone?

Scorch mark? hmm.

I'm starting to wonder if your power in your house is very clean. Do you have UPS? Or are you just using power strips?
    And how big of a load on the circuit?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

A monitor?

NO! N-O! Niet, Nein, Nada, Negatory, NO!

Your son was lucky he wasn't blown into a wall. That is some VERY lethal levels of electricity there. The rule of thumb follows with firearms: always assume the monitor is holding the lethal charge.

As for taking it to a professional to get it repaired, no it is not worth it. LCDs are coming down in price and are very inexpensive. better to send the old one for recycling and get a LCD one.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

My thoughts are along the line of....Ditch the bitch.

Blown caps are just an indicator. The power supply itself is now suspect

The scorch marks are the final nail in the coffin.
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I'm suddenly reminded of a time a co-worker was trying to fix an iMac. He had opened the case and did everything except discharge the CRT properly. Trying to be funny, he said "Is this live?" and found out the hard way that yes, it was still live.

Crash Helmet
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Your son was lucky he wasn't blown into a wall. That is some VERY lethal levels of electricity there. The rule of thumb follows with firearms: always assume the monitor is holding the lethal charge.
            I thought that was just with CRT monitors, not LCDs. I never would have let him open up a LCD.

Interestingly enough, there was an article in today's paper about different appliances, and whether or not they're worth fixing. One of the categories was flat-panel TVs, which are much like monitors.. It said that if it's under 32", it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              I thought that was just with CRT monitors, not LCDs. I never would have let him open up a LCD.
              You mean a CRT in that second reference, right?

Under any event, It's still a bad idea. It's the capacitors that hold the charge, and even if it is less, it's still not recommended.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                You mean a CRT in that second reference, right?

Under any event, It's still a bad idea. It's the capacitors that hold the charge, and even if it is less, it's still not recommended.
                Yeah, I did. Damn typos.

OK, I'll tell him not to mess with any more monitors, even LCDs. Although he was able to fix mine when it died after a power outage. He said it was some sort of reset switch, which in their infinite wisdom, they put inside the case. Go figure.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                  I'm starting to wonder if your power in your house is very clean. Do you have UPS? Or are you just using power strips?
                  And how big of a load on the circuit?
                  UPSes rule. My parents house got a power surge that screwed up a TV and a few other things, but the PCs were all on UPSes and came through unscathed.

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  He said it was some sort of reset switch, which in their infinite wisdom, they put inside the case. Go figure.
                  so that you'd have to pay them to do something you could have done yourself?

Comment

I was always taught that if the power supply or monitor has failed, replace it. This is coming from someone who's only learned in the classroom and hasn't put his skills to work, but I'm going with that, nonetheless.
                    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

PSU are liek 60 dolalrs for a good 600 watt monitors (expect name brand) are cheap too not worth repairing IMO unless of course the case is something you like. the best analogy is in most cases that 1970 junker isnt worth repairing unless your holding it for sentimental value as collelctors are prone to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X