This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Automatic Update help

I have Windows update automatically. Earlier this week, it downloaded some updates. I went to turn my computer off, and it said that the updates would be loaded and my computer would shut off automatically.

That didn't happen.

When I woke up, it was still applying the updates. So I manually turned my PC off and went to work.

Long story short, every day this week when I shut my PC off, I get the message saying Windows is applying the updates, but always gets stuck on the 4th one, for hours on end. I have to hold my power button to turn it off.

How can I manually apply these upgrades/patches, or just skip them? I haven't had a proper Windows shut down in a week.

Thanks!
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Same thing has happened to me. I have a new laptop with Windows Vista and it claims it has 9 updates to install, but it gets stuck on the first one.

I shut it down one night to install the updates before bed, and when I got up in the morning it was still working on that first update and never shut down.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This is a known bug with Vista currently:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...36256&from=rss

No known fix for it as of yet.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Well, it's not a systemic problem, as I had no issues applying the latest patches either on my laptop or desktop (x32 and x64 respectively), so if you have some way to do a system restore, maybe try giving downloading another try. If it doesn't work again, disable automatic update until you hear there's a fix for it.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          This is a known bug with Vista currently:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...36256&from=rss

No known fix for it as of yet.

Cutenoob
          Lovely.... I wonder if this is what happened to my box this morning.

When I got home from work, windows updates ready to be installed. Looked at them, and said Ok, and let it go. I also had an update for my firewall and let that run as well. (thus, my problem could have been either)

Updates finished, and I clicked reboot and went to bed. I got up to find it in a constant reboot cycle. It would start to load, get to a specific file and blue screen and reboot...

When I left for work, a restore from backup was running on my C drive. Damn, I'm glad I keep Save and Restore running on my system. The latest backup is only a week old...

I'm going to have to take a closer look at all the updates being applied when it downloads them again.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Same thing has happened to me. I have a new laptop with Windows Vista and it claims it has 9 updates to install, but it gets stuck on the first one.

I shut it down one night to install the updates before bed, and when I got up in the morning it was still working on that first update and never shut down.
            I just got Vista and the updates fail and take 4ever
            Jacob (F&R Computer Man)

Comment

Are you using winXP or Vista?
              Jacob (F&R Computer Man)

Comment

Working...
              X