X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Support Plea (Not CS related.)

Quickie Question:

I have a friend who can't click through on a particular site.

Windows XP, Internet Explorer 7

On this page:

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/...e.jsp?c_id=ari

there is a schedule with what SHOULD be buttons to click through and buy tickets.
    (They are small green boxes with black T's in them.)

When hovered on, the status bar for these buttons reads:

javascript:void(openTIXXWindow('http://purchase.tickets.com/buy
    /MLBEventInfo?agency=MLBST&pid=6116341','away'));

I have had no problem with IE 6 or FF or Opera under OSX, XP, 98 or XP.
    Friend does have a security suite - probably Norton.
    Still can't click through with it disabled though. Went through all of the /Internet Options/Security/Internet/Custom Level settings to no avail.

All I can think of is that there is some arcane IE7 registry setting that Norton changed?

In any case, anyone have a fix? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The link (in the little green boxes with black Ts) show up in a pop-up window in Firefox. Mayhaps your friend needs a new browser.

(By the by: I have Windows XP Home Edition First Service Pack. Yes, STILL. I have no desire to upgrade via dial-up)
    Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 03-02-2008, 08:32 PM. Reason: OS Info
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Try reinstalling Java first.

Second I would go to Tools, Internet Options Reset and reset everything back to original. Note that when you do this all the addons get disabled. You can go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Manage addons and reenable the stuff that is needed (though i would aoid turning anything back on except java until you try it).

Steve B.

Comment

What that link is doing is opening a new window via JavaScript.

Java and JavaScript are entirely separate things so reinstalling Java is probably not going to help.

Have your friend temporarily allow popups and see if that does the trick.
        >++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<+.>>>++++[<++++++++>-]<.<++++++[<++++++>-]<+.>+++[<--->-]<..-.>>.<<---.>>.<+++[<+++>-]<++.---.---.-.>+++++[<----------->-]<.

Comment

Don't bother with disabling/enabling Java. It is a completely different item from Javascript, which is what the problem here is.

One of two things has happened for your friend:

1. IE7 includes a popup blocker which is blocking that Window. Search security and preference settings to either allow that site specifically, or disable the popup blocker entirely.

2. Some small, but now significant change in the implementation of Javascript in IE7 which was not there in IE6. If step 1 doesn't fix it (and you're unable to find any other popup blockers to fix it), then your friend's only option may be to switch to IE6 (I won't call it a downgrade, as I don't see it as such. By all indications, IE7 is a better changeover than XP to Vista, but that doesn't make it great, not by a long shot).

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
            Don't bother with disabling/enabling Java. It is a completely different item from Javascript, which is what the problem here is.

One of two things has happened for your friend:

1. IE7 includes a popup blocker which is blocking that Window. Search security and preference settings to either allow that site specifically, or disable the popup blocker entirely.
            Is there an echo in the building?
            >++++++++[<+++++++++>-]<+.>>>++++[<++++++++>-]<.<++++++[<++++++>-]<+.>+++[<--->-]<..-.>>.<<---.>>.<+++[<+++>-]<++.---.---.-.>+++++[<----------->-]<.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
              The link (in the little green boxes with black Ts) show up in a pop-up window in Firefox. Mayhaps your friend needs a new browser.

(By the by: I have Windows XP Home Edition First Service Pack. Yes, STILL. I have no desire to upgrade via dial-up)
              *loads metasploit*

What was your IP address again?

</script kiddie mode>

Comment

Quoth gbm85 View Post
                Is there an echo in the building?
                Better too much help than too little!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to walk him through a reinstall of IE7 by phone in the next day or so. My educated guess is something besides IE is disabling this particular kind of javascript pop-up though. We'll see.

Again, my thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X