This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still on SATA

Okay, so I'm STILL trying to get the SATA hard drive to work.

I have the correct SATA controller card. Plus, I found some SATA ports on my Mobo, however, my BIOS says NOTHING about SATA.

While digging around, to attempt to RTFM, I ran across the CD that came with the HD, which cunningly had listed Driver installation, so I was able to access the HD, and partition it, or whatever, that I seemed to need to do.

Windows installer still won't recognize the HD. I get to part where you can delete partitions, and choose where you want to install, and it doesn't recognize any drives. (I do unplug my IDE HD, so I don't accidently format that.)

When I last restarted my computer with the IDE and SATA plugged in, I got a message the the HTLDR (or something close, I can probably recreate) was missing. I unplugged the SATA, and happy joyful, so I know the computer can see the SATA, but Windows Installer can't.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

I'm assuming you're trying to install Windows XP - in this case, Windows doesn't have the SATA card drivers on install so it can see the card, and the drive it's attached to.

Instead of typing a large explanation, I found this page - this should help you get Windows installed on your SATA drive!

Comment

Another way, while not as simple, would be to google and download nLite and use your windows cd to make a copy with the sata controller drivers loaded into the installer. It worked for me when I had trouble installing onto my sata drive and found out my floppy drive was dead.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
        I have the correct SATA controller card. Plus, I found some SATA ports on my Mobo, however, my BIOS says NOTHING about SATA.
        Black or orange? If black, check the text nearby for a description. I'm putting money on them being a SATA Raid port. (popped my machine open yesterday and noticed the odd coloured SATA port as well[all my others were orange and this one was black], inspection on the board showed it to be a raid port, which is a full mess in itself.

And that's the thing about controller cards. You still need the drivers for them as they're not directly linked to the BIOS.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Well, one SATA port is black (maybe brown?) the other's white.

After trying it with the onboard ports, and still not working, I've been only using the SATA controller card. I AM loading the drivers for the card when asked. It sees the drivers, and everything seems to go well, up to the point where it asks where I want to install the OS, which, yes, is XP.

WOULD I have better luck with Vista? I've been considering it. I just want this darn thing to be DONE!

Comment

Well, my experience is probably a darned sight different than yours, as I don't need a seperate SATA controller, but I had no problems with my SATA Hard drive using Vista, so I'd say a tentative yes, it would be easier.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Funny thing about Vista is that it's able to read SATA hard drives, but it automatically turns off the function. So, the rate that data is getting transferred to my hard drive would be if I had PATA. You can turn the SATA speeds on, but honestly, things on my computer just aren't slow enough to worry about.
              When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Well, I tried Vista, and still nothing. I think this time it might be the drivers for the controller card. I'm hunting them down now. I'm REALLY REALLY considering taking this to a shop!

Comment

Well, mwahahaha.

In the battle between the SATA hard drive and the Jenni, the Jenni reigns supreme.

I pointed to the Vista drivers for the card, which I had to download, and it finally saw the hard drive!

WOOT!

I win!

Comment

Woot! Another checkmark in the win column. Enjoy your SATA-y goodness!
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                    X