This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sata & IDE configuration

I just finished building my new PC a couple of months ago. The Primary Hard Drive is sata. I also have an ide DVD-ROM. I'm trying to hook up a second ide hard drive. What is the correct set up? The motherboard only has one ide connection on it. When the ide hdd is slave, it isn't seen at all, when it's master, it tries to boot off it. (it has no OS on it, just crucial data... ie mp3's and pictures )

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure the dvd drive is set slave.

You'll also need to check the BIOS setting for bot sequence, or boot priority, and set the SATA drive to first, or maybe second after the DVD drive. Most BIOS's are entered by pressing the DEL key at start up.

The manufacturer and model number of the motherboard would be needed moy more specific advice.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Pretty much. To list off:

-ide hdd set to master
      -DVD drive set to slave
      -Set BIOS up to load the SATA after the optical drive.

Why after the optical drive? so that if you need to boot from a CD or DVD.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Why after the optical drive? so that if you need to boot from a CD or DVD.
        Yep, although if it gets to be a pain you can set it after once you've loaded the OS. Just change it back if you need to force the optical boot.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
        X