This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a friends CD writer

I'm trying to help a friend with computers (and I know just enough to know when to ask for help). The problem is everytime she tries to write a cdrw it comes up with an error message about how the computer could not write to the disc please make sure the drive is properly connected. It seems to work when you go into my computer and tell it to erase all files (these are blank discs) then try to write the file, which won't help though if there is already anything on the disc. Does anyone know a way to get around that problem or fix the computer so that you don't have to erase all files before writing new ones?
    She has a Compac Presario with a Lightscribe DVD+- RW drive (it shows up on the hardware list as HL-D5-ST DVDRRW GSA-H21L, I don't know if that means anything or not) and she is running XP media center edition.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

First suggestion is what discs are being used? It might just be that the discs are cheap junk. That's been my problem occasionally when burning things.

Also, it might be that the disc is "finished" or "locked" or whatever the term is, automatically by her burning program, which means you can't add more to the disc as-is. Check for that option, and disable it. Any future discs would be able to be added to.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

IIRC, Xp does not like DVD burning drives. Nothing you can do to windows itself is going to work, (well, there is, but Gates is one person I don't wanna piss off.)

Simple fix is to install a burning program. ImgBurn works great, and it's free.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Your friend is running a LG Drive I believe (not that it matters or anything). I have only used the built in windows drag and drop burning on normal CDR's not ReWritables. Your friend may be better off using CD burning software like Nero, Roxio, or LL's suggestion for the free one.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
        X