This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee Site Advisor

So I finally updated my McAfee now that we have broadband, as my poor dial-up connection never would handle it.

Site Advisor came with the update, and now I noticed that when I load a site that has a large amount of thumbnail pictures, some of the thumbnails just show up as the McAfee Logo. Most of the time, I can click the thumbnail and see the picture anyways, but some of the time, I just get a giant version of the logo. And it's from a site I visit a lot, so I know the pics aren't dirty or offensive.

I already disabled SiteAdvisor on FireFox, but I'm still having the problem and it's really annoying.

Any way to fix?

EDIT: It's doing the same thing with avatars, too.
    Last edited by ShinyGreenApple; 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Forgive me, my knowledge on McAfee is little at best...

It seems like it's blocking off-site pictures, possibly as part of it's ad blocking code. A common, if heavy handed approach.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Uninstall McAfee. Seriously. If Norton or McAfee products are on your system I say trash them before they trash you. There have been many instances that these "fine" pieces of software have ruined people's computers. Get out while you still can. If you decide to I will get you the link to McAfee's uninstalling utility. Add/Remove will not cleanly remove everything.

Comment

I would remove McAfee and use a free AV (and only AV) program like AVG Free Edition or Avast!. I install AVG on all my customer's machines and have had no complaints. They're just as good as Norton / McAfee (if not better) and are way lighter on system resources (considering they JUST do AV, and nobody really needs anymore than AV nowadays. Windows comes with a suitable firewall so you don't need anything extra).

If you're not comfortable with that you'll want to look for some ad-blocking feature of McAfee and turn it off.

Comment

Personally if you're concern about sites "executing" malware/virus from websites. Get the free Comodo Firewall. Their newest version will bring up a "hey did you start this program". I got mine on paranoid mode. Haven't had an malware attempt, but it's useful in preventing programs from doing things you don't want it to. Like the dang media player always trying to download information from the internet. I love selective port blocking (which microsoft firewall don't do). So some programs can still access some ports but others the mail client can access port 110 but not port 80. It also protects the start-up entries so nothing add themselves to the start-up, unless of course you say it's ok.

As far as Mcafee, norton, or any pay to use anti-virus. Don't, not worth it. They don't do better than the free AVG.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Yeah, I noticed since I downloaded the update this morning, my machine has been running like cold molasses. Particularly when I run programs like media player and Paint Shop Pro. McAfee just came with my computer, and I went ahead and took it, since I wasn't at all impressed with how Norton had taken care of my parents' comp.

I'll check out AVG, and to possibly sound like a complete and total dummy here, what is "AV"?

Comment

I'd definately disable all the internet-based things (other than virus scan and firewall) in that program.

I know that the new AVG prigram has a stupid "link scanner" that does something "wonderful": it downloads and scans every single search result hit and gives you a report -- sometimes taking 20 minutes to scan 10 links. On top of it all, once you click the link, it scans the site again (making the original scan pointless overall).

But yeah, definately disable everything that you don't use in that program.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                I'll check out AVG, and to possibly sound like a complete and total dummy here, what is "AV"?
                AV = shorthand of anti-virus.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Heh, I usually don't recommend anything other than AVG Free and Windows Firewall because they're rather low-maintenance and simple. Comodo is nice, but alot of inexperienced users get overwhelmed with the 'training' it requires. Windows firewall will protect you from most crud unless you're really determined to get infected .

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                    AV = shorthand of anti-virus.
                    Whoa, now I do feel dumb

But thanks a lot for all the input, guys. I'll see if I can't get it all taken care of before bed. Not seeing all these images (it even happens on deviantart and youtube ) is beyond irksome.

And I'm assuming I should have AVG and Windows Firewall up and running before I try to take off McAfee, right?

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                      And I'm assuming I should have AVG and Windows Firewall up and running before I try to take off McAfee, right?
                      Not good to have two antivirus programs running at the same time. At the least, they'll argue with each other and slow your system to a crawl. Here's what to do: Download AVG, go offline, uninstall McAfee, install AVG, go online to download AVG updates.

You should be all set then!

Comment

But when the tech installed our high speed, he said that all we need do is turn on the computer and voila! We are online. I don't know how to disconnect from the web

Comment

Just unplug the network cable from the computer. It shouldn't do anything to your system, and will just hop right back online when you plug the cable back in.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Some cable modems (and DSL ones) have a "internet button" or power switch. Hit that and you're offline. Hit it again and you're back on (although if you kill the power, it might take a few seconds/minute to be back up). The internet button (on/off internet button) is instant.

Comment

Ok, I got that all done, and I went with Comodo for my firewall. And all I can say now is . . .

GONE, GONE, GONE, Smeagol's I'm FREE! No more stupid MA logo, no more snail pace computer. *le sigh*

Thanks so much to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X