X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Windows license; hard drive issue

Hi all,

Right now I have two computers that I assembled myself. (I'm not an expert on computers, by any means; I'm just cheap). My downstairs computer is used mostly by me, and sometimes by my wife; it's running Windows XP that I purchased retail (upgrade version). I still have the XP disk as well as my old Win98SE upgrade disk, along with the activation codes for both.

My upstairs computer is used by the kids, and for internet access when the downstairs computer is in use. It's running Win98SE. It's networked to the downstairs computer and uses the downstairs printer when we want to print something.

I'd like to upgrade the upstairs computer to Windows XP. I've been told that you can just purchase a license for a second computer, without having to go out and buy a new XP disk. Is this true, and if so, how would I go about it? Would it be easier to just buy a second XP disk from e-Bay or an online vendor (since I don't see them in the stores any more)?

My other issue is the downstairs computer. When I set it up, I thought it would be a good idea to partition the hard drive, so I have the OS on the C: partition, most of my programs on the D: partition, storage and downloads on the E: partition. I even set an F: partition for the Windows swapfile (the drive was originally formatted when I had Win98 on the downstairs computer as well).

My C: partition has about 9GB, and suddenly it's running out of room. I've been getting the message that there's less than 200MB remaining on the drive, and that Windows needs that much free space to work effectively. I bought myself some time by deleting some unnecessary stuff (like the MSN folder) and I haven't gotten the message in a few days, but I suspect it will be back next time I do a Java upgrade or something. I haven't installed any programs or games on the C: partition; as far as I know it's all just system stuff, and I don't know what I can remove without affecting the system. I've noticed that there are about four Java updates listed on the add/remove program lists, and each update lists as about 100MB or so. I'm wondering if I can remove them all and just re-install the latest Java to save some space.

So my questions are:
    --Anything I can do to add more space to this partition, without re-formatting the drive (I suspect I already know the answer to this one, but again, I'm no expert)

--What can I safely remove from the C: drive? Is it possible to set it up so that Windows can use all the extra room on the other partitions, and doesn't need the 200MB free on the C: partition?

--I left the downstairs file system as FAT32; if I change to the newer type of file system, will it free up any space (and will it affect my networked WIN98 computer)?

--If I purchase a larger hard drive, is there a way to transfer all my files to the new drive; or would I just have to burn my files on a DVD-ROM and start up with the new drive from scratch?

--If I start from scratch with a new drive, can I install Windows XP immediately with my upgrade disk (given that I still have the old Win98 disk and key) or do I have to install Windows 98 first (I still have an old Win95 disk, believe it or not) and then upgrade to XP?

Thanks for any advice!
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Right now I have two computers that I assembled myself. (I'm not an expert on computers, by any means; I'm just cheap).
    How do you think I got my knowledge?

Okay, on to the questions:

1. You used to be able to buy the licence directly from Microsoft, but since they went total vista on their website, if it's there, it's almost impossible to find. I would go for getting an OEM version from a store that sells them. eBay is too easy to scam you in this situation, as you might just get the disk or a license that was used.

2. The partition is 9 GB, or the drive? (please say partition) if so, unfortunately not. Pretty much anything with a symbiotic relationship with XP needs to be in that folder. I would say back up your data and repartition the drive, and put about 25GB if you can spare it. Unfortunately, as these programs update, they are doing to take up more space.

3. Temp folders and temp files primarily. If you're running with only system files, then it's pretty bare bones as it is. Uninstalling any unneeded windows components will also open up some space. That 200MB is typically the Master File Table (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) and is required. It cannot be moved.

4. It will give you better efficiency and as such open a little bit more space. Encryption and security are the main reasons for going NTFS. Your Win9x machine will not see any drive that is formatted with NTFS though.

5. It's doable, but takes experience and is best done with mirroring programs like Norton Ghost. Backing up all non-recoverable files and starting from scratch is your best bet, as it allows you to start from a fresh start, and any other issues will be resolved.

6. Yes you can. (once again correct me if I'm wrong, as this is some old info in my head.) XP will at one point check for certain files that are specific to the prior version of windows on the drive. failing that, it will ask for the disk. put it in, allow the check, then it will ask for the XP disk to be reinserted. it will then continue it's install.

Hope I'm right and hope it helps!
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I've upgraded many hard drives, and I almost always set up multiple partitions to seperate the OS/ swap file/ storage.

The hands down easiest way is with a program called Casper (it's the friendly Ghost!)

http://www.fssdev.com/

I used to use Ghost for mirroring systems, but Casper kicks its ass for upgrades.

Assuming your mobo can handle it, you can get a 500GB drive for about $150.

If your mobo can't handle it, you'll need a controller card and a set of drivers - annoying, but not too difficult.

Good luck, and remember: we're here to help.

Comment

Working...
      X