X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractals

OK, a bit of backstory...

I've mentioned this a few times before, but my wife is an aspiring writer (SF/F). As some of you know, this is a freaking hard business to break into. As near as I can tell, it's easier to become a successful actor than a successful writer, especially now that word processors are so common and inexpensive. So, despite her lack of financial success, I think she's really good— which is nice, since there are so few published books I'm interested in reading any more, so even one extra book a year increases my reading percentage greatly. So, while I'm waiting for some editor to wise up and plunk down some cash for her stories, I get them printed off at Lulu so I can read them easier.

Her attitude is: if you want them in book form, you're the cover artist. And naturally, since she puts a lot of time into the inside, I need an outside that doesn't disgrace her work.

So the question I have: for what I'm working on, I would like to have a fractal pattern for the background. Ideally, one that would in some way remind you of a DNA helix. First question: is there some fractal pattern that does have a resemblance, even vague, of a DNA strand? I'm not familiar with any. And second: does anyone know a program that can do them that 1) works on macintosh computers, 2) is relatively low-cost, and 3) is capable of decent color output of at least 4000 x 2750 pixels?

Failing that, is anyone willing to simply send me something I can use? Any help is appreciated. So far, the programs I've found haven't been able to do what I wanted.

Sadly, unless someone knows of a shareware program, or something with a nice trial version, I don't think you're likely to find anything for Mac that also fits the inexpensive criteria. You'll likely be looking at a couple hundred dollars if you want a program that can do what you want.

However, I'm more sure that someone'll be able to help you find a suitable image. Good luck!
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm not a regular user of these sorts of programs. However, the very first link I found on Google was for FractInt, and there is some sort of work on a Mac port, though I'm not sure of the status. And user gallery had an image that looked promising (specifically, this image (big image warning ahead!).

Comment

There is a online fractal java program if you want to try your hand at making one fractalina-applet
        However, getting a output might be harder. At least if you get the "math" you want to make the image you want. You can give that to someone else to make a higher resolution one.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
        X