This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headphone port not working

so this may be an odd question or what not but my headphones are not working on my work computer anymore

ive fuddled around with the sound controls and nothing is on mute etc

is theres somewhere else i can look? or it most likely my brand new headphones fail at life?

is this a desktop or laptop? if laptop do you get sound from the internal speakers? if not what kind of laptop is it.
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Any cable kinks? everything fully plugged in?
      any loose wires - especially up at the headphones?

Any change in drivers or hardware?

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Can you get any sound from the speakers? Do the headphones work on a different computer?

I had the same problem once; the integrated sound on the motherboard had killed itself.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Start Menu > Run > C:\WINDOWS\\System32\sndrec32.exe opens the windows sound recorder. Use it to try recording and playing back
          • The Windows Volume Controls have always been a little bit tricky. They hold settings for both "Playback" and "Recording" and if the later isn't setup right it can start acting funny.
          • Full Duplex Mode on headsets/soundcards is *supposed* to allow playback and recording at the same time. But every once in awhile... because of the driver or the hardware's just picky... it just doesn't work properly. Try turning this on or off on the driver settings or sound card advanced tab (or settings for your headset if it has custom ones)
          • Make sure you're plugging it into the MICROPHONE port and not the LINE IN port on the soundcard of course. However having said that, if after doing all other troubleshooting you can't get it to work... you *can* sometimes plug it into the LINE IN port instead, modify system settings to use that input, and be able to chat with it. Be warned however that most programs expect you to be using the Microphone Port.
          • Try exchanging the headset for another one. Sometimes it's simple manufacturing cheapness that not all of these things work. I've come across a few boxes out of a big shipment of headsets that don't work... on various projects. Heck, right now I'm having to return a packaged Xbox360 headset, where everything else in the box worked.
          • If you're sure it's the port that's died and you can't get any life whatsoever out of it (happened to my brother in law a few months ago... I figure he got it loose/disconnected with violent insertion/removal of the microphone) then you could bypass it and Go get a USB microphone/headset. It's a different interface and won't be affected if your MIC IN port has died.
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

yea my speakers dont work either!

its my work computer btw, so i can live without sound.

i tried all the wires and it seems all set but now that i noticed my speakers dont work either i guess its my computer.

well thanks for the comments

Comment

Working...
            X