This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX 10 and XP

Recently I've been seeing some stuffs about XP compatibility custom stuffs for Direct X 10. Was wondering if anyone out there had tried any of this yet and has seen if this is something worth looking into or just a virus scam?

Specifically I'm looking at DirectX10 RC2 Pre Fix 3

Several notes show that it will detect as a virus since it is not officially supported by Microsoft.

Just wondering if anyone had tinkered with it. I'm not willing to deal with another reinstall of my machine right now if it turns out to be just another scam.
    Bark like a chicken!

Don't. Even if it wasn't a virus, your video card would need to support it, whatever program you were using would need to support it too. And I don't think there's support built in to any drivers for XP, so it'd be incredibly unstable.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Agreed. You'd be better off giving Windows 7 RC a try and see if you like it. If a game can use DX10, then it can run in Vista, and therefore run in Windows 7, Which is using DX11.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That answers the question then. Thankee.

And I am SOOOO not putting Vista on my main machine. Windows 7 I'm waiting until 6 months after release to see if it's actually any good or if they dropped the ball again.
        Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I'm running Windows 7 right now and it's pretty much what Vista should have been.
          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Yep. Win 7 NOW is better than Vista is NOW, after a few service packs.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Yep. Win 7 NOW is better than Vista is NOW, after a few service packs.
              that still doesn't tell us how good Win 7 is, its all well and good to know that it compares favourably to a pile of dog poop, but how does it compare to an OS thats actually good?
              "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
              Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                but how does it compare to an OS thats actually good?
                Okay, lemme put it to you this way, as someone who's actually used all three.

Win 7 > Vista SP 2 > XP SP 3

Okay? Vista doesn't actually suck if you're not a dumbass with a weak computer meant to run Win 95.

Comment

Yeah, asi stands, the only real issue is some older software won't like it, but that's been the case of Vista as well, and Vista was MUCH (and to a fair smaller degree) worse that Win7. The only real issue is the Win95/98 stuff that wasn't designed to run in XP. DOS stuff has an updated DOSBox now and XP native software for the most part works well if not perfectly.

If you're really paranoid, do what I'm doing and set up a dual boot system with XP and Windows 7.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Okay, lemme put it to you this way, as someone who's actually used all three.

Win 7 > Vista SP 2 > XP SP 3

Okay? Vista doesn't actually suck if you're not a dumbass with a weak computer meant to run Win 95.
                    I'll second that, and add "or Windows XP" at the end. Seriously, if you want to run Vista for some reason, you NEED a computer built for Vista. Anybody who asks if upgrading is a good idea, the answer is NO.

I'm going to try installing Windows 7 on my old laptop (going to swap out hard drives so I don't mess up the existing installation, just in case) and see how well it works....

However, Win7 on my Vista box screams. I'm seriously considering dumping Vista and upgrading once it comes out.

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                      I'm going to try installing Windows 7 on my old laptop (going to swap out hard drives so I don't mess up the existing installation, just in case) and see how well it works....
                      You'll probably see a small hit in performance, but the gain in usability might make it worth it for you. And I ordered my upgrade copy of Win 7 back when they were giving a discount on it. Home Premium for $70 I'm hoping it has the standard "You can install this on your primary and one secondary system" that most other of MS's EULAs have.

Comment

I have to say, I've been using Windows 7 since the beta release, and now the RC, and I really like it - enough that it's taken over Ubuntu as the primary OS on my laptop. I haven't seen a blue screen or had any problems, and it runs a lot faster that Vista did.

I want to wait and see on release if they keep it the same, if the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack (I've read that it's 3 upgrade licenses, either $149.99 or $189.99) I keep reading about is real and not just a rumor, if my college will distribute a student copy through MSDNAA, and if Microsoft will make a great deal on it through their Ultimate Steal promotion.

Comment

Basically, check out this blog regarding Windows 7 and games. It explains it a lot better than I can.
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Working...
                          X