This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to iTunes?

Hi, the other itunes thread reminded me of an issue i've had for a while.

I got as a present an iPod touch (woot) a while ago.
    My computer runs win xp 64bit edition (legally bought copy from a while back)

now problem goes: ipod needs itunes to transfer any files from my comp to my ipod. itunes won't work properly on my computer (its installed but it says not all functions are compatible with my version of windows) basically the function that doesn't work is the being able to connect my ipod to itunes and transfer anything. Apparently its a known issue, and they simply don't support 64bit windows xp.

Apple may or may not support it in the future (all of the updates i've found so far that support 64bit windows has been for vista only)

Now i've been using a friend's comp with itunes to make my ipod work, but he's moving away soon.

so long story short, what can I use other than iTunes to put music etc onto my ipod touch?
    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Does your computer recognize the ipod as a device when its connected?

You should just be able to file transfer your music onto it, and the ipod should recognize the files as music and sort them into your library appropriately.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Check out foobar2000, Songbird, and Winamp. They're supposed to be good alternatives to iTunes, and they're all free, so you can see if they'll work well with your iPod.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
        Does your computer recognize the ipod as a device when its connected?

You should just be able to file transfer your music onto it, and the ipod should recognize the files as music and sort them into your library appropriately.
        yes its recognised, but no, iPods are dumb and designed so that the only way of transferring files to them is via iTunes (being honest i'd have bought a different mp3 player with my own money, but it was a gift so I make do)

any attempt of the old drag and drop method comes back with an error (i can't remember which now, but it basically said that the device couldn't accept the files)

Quoth broomjockey
        Check out foobar2000, Songbird, and Winamp. They're supposed to be good alternatives to iTunes, and they're all free, so you can see if they'll work well with your iPod.
        i've tried winamp, its a great mp3 player (and better than iTunes), but it doesn't have any connectivity to iPods (though a couple of third party add ons claim to work they also flag as viruses on avast)

i'll have a look at the others when I get home
        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
        Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Some people seem to find this workaround to function.

http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/iphonex64

Comment

There's at least one Winamp plugin that works fine for ipod connectivity...Clamwin and Panda both clear it as clean and AVG used to as well back when I had it. I've got a Shuffle and never used anything else to manage it.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Working...
            X