This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External HD issues

I feel excessively stupid about this, but I'm not really sure the next step to take here.

I bought an external hard drive after I started getting warnings on my laptop about running low on space. It worked great and I transferred all of my frivolous files to the external.

Fast forward a few weeks to today. I have more files I want to store on the HD, but when I plug it in, the light on the HD glows, but my computer doesn't recognize it. At first I was disinclined to think it's the cord or the HD because the light comes on, but I plugged it into my Mom's laptop and it didn't load there either. Granted, her laptop is ancient and doesn't even want to load it's own programs.

I tried restoring my computer to one of those earlier save points (I've had to do this a few times when the hibernate shortcut keys stop working randomly), and I tried using a different USB cord. Any other suggestions?

Does the drive spin up?
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

What HY said ^_^

And what you are probably suspecting may very well be the case -- if it won't work on anyone else's computer, the drive itself is likely having issues. If you have another external case that you can slip the drive into, or if you can plug it into a computer internally, try that. It may just be a loose wire within the HD case.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can feel the drive spinning, the light comes on, etc.

Unfortunately it's not the kind that I can just slip into the case of my computer for two reasons. Laptop and it's a sealed drive. Only access is where the USB plugs in.

I'm gonna be so bummed if I lose those pictures!

Comment

Update: I took the drive to the real world equivalent of Nerd Herd and after playing with it and cracking it open, it was determined that the drive is caput. Bought a new one and am looking into recovery services from the manufacturer. Blargh.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
            Update: I took the drive to the real world equivalent of Nerd Herd and after playing with it and cracking it open, it was determined that the drive is caput. Bought a new one and am looking into recovery services from the manufacturer. Blargh.
            On an up note, you made a Chuck reference. Bonus points!
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
            X