This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD drive question

the CD drive in my laptop is no longer working. About two days ago, I copied two CDs to my computer, and added another to copy, and iTunes acted like there was no disc. I opened My Computer, and it said that the drive was empty. I left it alone for a while, and tried again today. Still nothing.

I'm running Vista on a HP Pavilion dv6000, and iTunes 9.0.1
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Will other CDs work? Have you tried anything besides iTunes? Have you tried the CD on different computers?
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

No, other CDs don't work, I haven't tried another computer, and my computer doesn't register that there is a disc in the drive. (I've tried three different CDs so far)
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

are you trying burned CDs or regular (store bought) CDs, or a mix of music and program CDs?

It is odd that the drive is being registered by the system, but it's not picking up the CDs. Do you feel/hear it spin when you put the CDs in?
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

It's not unknown for the spindle motor or the laser in a laptop CD drive to go bad. My old PowerBook G3 will only start the spindle motor in about half of the positions, so I usually spin up the disc manually as I close the tray, and do things quickly (on the rare occasions I need it).

Unfortunately you may have difficulty finding a replacement at a reasonable cost. If so, try getting an external drive.

Comment

Working...
          X