This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange flash drive behavior--random deletions

I've had my current flash drive (Corsair Voyager 4GB) for a few years now, recently purchased a new one. I travel with my flash drive loaded with PortableApps and a few miscellaneous files. I have about 8 separate folders.

I get home from a trip, to find some folders/files that were on the Corsair drive erased or showing up as empty

--Portable Thunderbird: initially the folder was reading as empty, a start/abort of the delete process somehow restored everything.
    --Portable Firefox; OK except for the bookmarks
    --OO Portable: gone
    --Various photos: gone (I have a backup)
    --Music (one song from BT and clips from TV shows for a forum project): gone
    --Utilities (AVG, CCleaner, etc): gone (I have an intact backup)
    --Running invoice for a friend/client, and a few other small files: empty, although the size and "last modified" stamp is intact. I can most likely recreate the invoice as I do have a printout from a couple months ago.

I accessed the flash drive before coming back here, and everything was fine.

I'm not saying the airport X-ray scanner did anything, but it does seem like an odd coincidence that this happened after the fourth trip though the scanner. If the drive was failing, I would expect it to be less particular in what it decided to eat.

Any ideas?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Since everything came out fine, I suggest backing up everything on the drive and then do a low-level format on the drive. You might have some bad sectors or the hardware is failing. A low-level format (not the quick format), should detect and prevent writing on the bad sectors at least. If you see a lot of bad sectors (large change in drive capacity), I would suggest throwing it away because when they start going bad, they go downhill quickly.

Comment

Working...
    X