Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone, but I decided that it's all wayy to much effort, especially since an upgrade copy works for GK.

So, I'm just waiting for e-academy to get a full version of Win 7 up on it's site.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

In any case, upgrading from an RC or other "non-final" version to the real thing may just be asking for trouble anyway. Clean installs are the way to go.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        In any case, upgrading from an RC or other "non-final" version to the real thing may just be asking for trouble anyway. Clean installs are the way to go.
        Phfft! I don't care how much they've improved windows, you should always do a clean install, even if you're upgrading. You usually have the option to format the drive.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          Phfft! I don't care how much they've improved windows, you should always do a clean install, even if you're upgrading. You usually have the option to format the drive.
          yes
          Yes
          very much yes
          1000x yes.

Why? well 2 reasons:

1) a clean install clears out all the past stuff that might cause a problem later on. Programs linked to the kernel for example often modify key files that on a overwrite install will wind up breaking and causing your computer to freak out.

2) Why not? It's recommended to do a purge and reformat every 3-6 months, though most people never do, thinking a defragment is enough. This gives you a perfect reason for doing it.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            It's recommended to do a purge and reformat every 3-6 months, though most people never do, thinking a defragment is enough. This gives you a perfect reason for doing it.
            This was effectively mandatory on Win9x....After 6 months I'd get some slowdown, and letting even my own (fully AV/FW-guarded) systems go for a year without a full wipe and reinstall was...less than wise. I was so happy when Win2K (and, later, XP SP2) came along and allowed me to slack off a bit on this...tho I still don't let it go longer than a year simply out of habit, even if there's no slowdown/weirdness going on.
            Last edited by EricKei; 11-10-2009, 01:10 AM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's recommended to do a purge and reformat every 3-6 months,
              Why?

No, seriously, why? I've had systems that I've had for years, with literally no issues at any point. A reformat/reinstall would simply have been a waste of my time. I had no slow-down, no viruses, I keep my system well-maintained. I've never heard an actual explanation that doesn't rely either on pre-XP reasoning, or something that can be solved by other means (registry clogged? I've got a solid registry cleaner. "Might have a virus?" Pretty brutal virus to show no increase in resource usage, affect my system not at all, and not be caught by Spy-Bot's active scanner, and the 3 monthly scans I run. Etc. etc.)
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Usually just to clear out the junk that piles up from regular use. Files that are never used but stored "just in case", forgotten documents that serve no purpose anymore, and similar stuff. It also makes you more acutely aware of what exactly you have on the machine and why. Think of it as a data equivelant to cleaning out the fridge.

And I never said it's required, just recommended. If you don't have an issue, then don't worry about it.
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Think of it as a data equivelant to cleaning out the fridge.
                  Oooooooooooo. Yeah, I never clean out my fridge, either....

Year old mustard... mmm....
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Oooooooooooo. Yeah, I never clean out my fridge, either....

Year old mustard... mmm....
                    That explains so much.
                    I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Another voice on the clean install being the way to go whenever even remotely possible.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X