This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on a new power supply

I currently have a Gateway Model GT5404 that needs a new power supply and if anyone here has a recommendation for a replacement it would help alot.

My current power supply is: delta electronics inc DPS-300-PB A. I was looking for something simple that hopefully doesn't cost too much as we only go on the internet and play an occasional online game/movied so I probably don't need any upgrades or anything.

Thanks in advance for help.

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Use that to find out the wattage you need. Once you have that, get the cheapest one closest without going under to get the wattage you need (if it comes out 302W, get a 350W, that kind of thing). Since you're not doing anything strenuous on your system, you won't need to worry too much about brand names. If you're a stickler though, I've got an OCZ in my system.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

And before you buy one, make sure your motherboard accepts a standardized 20 or 24 pin power supply connector. I know the motherboards on some name-brand computers will only take a very odd type of connector. In that case, about your only option would be finding the power supply from a similar computer.

Comment

Couple other things:
        - Some proprietary motherboards use a standard connector, but with a nonstandard pinout. The plugs will mate, but you'll let the magic smoke out of everything.

- Applies only to older computers. Does your computer have any ISA slots with cards in them? If so, you need all 4 "major" power lines (+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V). One of these lines (can't remember which) is used ONLY by ISA devices, so a lot of newer power supplies don't have it.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X