This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compy died

At least I think it's dead. We have an old HP Desktop that we got second hand from my parents. The thing was slower than molasses in January, but it worked well enough. That is until this afternoon when I saw the "Operating System Not Found" message flashing on the monitor. >.<

Any way to fix it cheaply? We have a laptop we can use, but I really like having the second computer.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

have you tried kicking/punching/bashing with a hammer??
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Reinstall the OS - repair first (second repair option if you want to attempt to save some data) if that doesn't work - reinstall form scratch.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Reinstall the OS - repair first (second repair option if you want to attempt to save some data) if that doesn't work - reinstall form scratch.
        If it's running XP, and you have the install disk, you should be able to get into the repair diagnostics and repair the startup for it. (I haven't done this in so long I no longer remember the exact options, sorry). This will automatically fix the boot sector, if it is fixable.

If not, as draggar says, you'll have to try to reload from scratch, assuming the disk is not bad.

The good news is, IF you reinstall from scratch, it'll probably run faster.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail118.html

In case you've never seen it before.

Comment

Working...
          X