This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB port question

*apologies in advance if I'm vague about explaining this - not in the church office right now, and I don't know the history of my office computer before I was hired (like how exactly how old it is, where it was obtained from,...e.tc.)*

To explain things the best I can - this computer has two USB ports in the front of the machine, and one in the back. Systems/diagnostic checks will detect all three ports as being present, but the one in the back is the ONLY one which will recognize anything that's plugged into it. Currently this port is being used by my printer, which means that when it comes up that a flash drive needs to be plugged in, either that person has to move equipment around/do a lot of unplugging, or they have to do a "workaround" involving e-mailing files from other computers in the office.

Anyhow, my question is.....does anyone know of a general reason what might be going on with my office computer's USB ports?

The port at the back is likely a component on the motherboard. The ports at the front likely need to be connected with a cable to motherboard. Diagnosis from your decription is not cable / cable disconnected.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

I'd have to agree. at first I was thinking it was a compatibility issue with USB 1.0 vs 2.0, but if that was the case, i don't think the rear port would see the device either. You can try updating/reinstalling the USB drivers for it, but otherwise I'd check to make sure the cable was connected to the motherboard.

CH
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

First check your drivers. Running XP?
        Start menu
        control panel
        device mananger
        Look towards the bottom of the tree of stuff...expand the + next to USB
        See if there are any Warning signs or Exclamation points.

If not:
        Go to computer manufacturer and find drivers.
        Best to be sitting in front of pc, find brand name, model etc.
        aka www.acer . com
        go to support /downloads on front page (almost everyone is same)
        find model ABCD1234
        find out if drivers exist for it.

WORKAROUND:
        Purchase a USB hub.
        Plug 7 port hub into the rear USB port.
        Use remaining ports for anything else you need.

System sounds old to me tbh, with 3 usb ports total? Normally it's at least 5 or more lately.
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
          System sounds old to me tbh, with 3 usb ports total? Normally it's at least 5 or more lately.
          Yep. They'll set aside 2 for the keyboard/mouse, then you'd still have 3. If the system's using PS/2 connectors for those, it's probably quite old, which also means I'd suggest only getting a 4 port USB hub unless there's a drastic need for that many ports. If you ever connected something to all 7, the system probably wouldn't be able to handle it properly.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Good point, Broomjockey - it prolly has a 250w power unit, gasping.

Church may need to look into new PC sometime in 2010.

Cutenoob

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              Good point, Broomjockey - it prolly has a 250w power unit, gasping.

Church may need to look into new PC sometime in 2010.

Cutenoob
              Oh, I totally wish the church had room in the budget for that.....it's frustrating trying to get things done using equipment which has got to be over ten years old. Not to mention that I sometimes feel like I have to be the tech person when I'm far from being an expert myself.

But anyhow, it's definitely sounding like getting a 4 port USB hub would be the way to go, since I really just need one to plug flash drives in when necessary.

Comment

Remind the Pastor/Reverend that $300-$500 goes a long way nowadays for PCs. You may need to purchase Office 2007 - but getting a new PC with a warranty would soothe a lot of frustrations the office has.

Have him mull it over.

Cutenoob

Comment

Will the printer work off the hub? Some USB devices won't.

CH
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

In that case, what you want is a USB extension cable instead; put the end of it somewhere convenient and you can switch as needed without crawling around behind the computer.
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
                      Will the printer work off the hub? Some USB devices won't.
                      That will usually be corrected by simply providing wall power to the USB hub (as most of them have a power adapter port on them specifically for this purpose), since the internal ports are also connected to an internal hub embedded in the motherboard.

It's possible to get a printer which will not work with an external hub, I suppose, but that would be pretty difficult to do.

Comment

USB is supposed to not care that there's a hub there. A printer won't be taking bus power either, so that will be a non-issue. I would recommend a 7-port powered hub anyway, as that maximises flexibility with the existing machine.

That's if you can't get the front ports to work. Open the machine and look for the cable and the m/board socket - if you find both, put them together!

Comment

Working...
                        X