This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a Real Doozy this Time

Got a wierd one today. User's computer can connect to the internet, but www.google.com, and equivalent IP address, is returning a page cannot be found error. Computer is running IE8 as its browser, and no other browser due to regulations, so switching to another browser is not a solution. Other search sites seem to work fine, and I can search for Google, but everytime I click the link, the browser swears it doesn't exist.

I have checked the proxy settings and HOST file for redirects and blocks.

I have also scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and not found a virus.

tracert shows the request for www.google.com, and its IP equivalent, getting out of our system, past our T3 provider, and to what seems to be a Newark, NJ server then timing out. Other computers on the same Switch and Router are working fine, and do not go through the NJ server when tracert-ed.

I'm going to dig through the internet to see if anyone's got a solution, but I figured I ask here too. No other oddness is apparent on the PC, but I may just rebuild the machine to be safe if I don't find a solution.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Check DNS settings for the network connection.

Comment

Sounds like some junk in the DNS resolver cache. try this command from the command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

That'll force it to pull the IP address associated with www.google.com again.

Comment

Yup. Also clear out the browser's cache......
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Typically, if you can ping it but can't bring it up in a web browser, it's a DNS issue. Sometimes an ARP issue.

From a command line, try the following:

ipconfig /flushdns (as already recommended)
          netsh int ip delete arpcache

Then restart and try it again.

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Have you checked for BHO's?
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Just a quick check in to say thanks for the feedback and ideas, all.

I'm going to be swapping out the tower when I get back out to the remote site this week. I'll try the more recent suggestions to see if they work before I DBAN the whole thing and start fresh. Always good to know for future reference.

Anywho, thanks again! I'll update if I find something that works.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X