X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Hangs & BSOD's at Shutdown

Ok, here is my issue.

Whenever I shut down my computer it will close down the desktop and then change to the "shutting down" screen. It will then hang there for 10 to 15 minutes before blue screening. The message it gives is a Driver Power State Failure. My system is perfectly stable while in the windows enviornment and I only seem to have this issue when I shut down the computer. I at first thought it might be the media card reader I had installed as that seemed to be a common issue with other reports I read online. I tried disabling the devise but no dice. I'm going to try and just uninstall and remove the device next to remove it as a posibility entirely.

I read a few other posts online about possible issues with the nvidia drivers not shutting down when the computer shuts down and causing it to hang. I recently upgraded the motherboard on my computer and after reinstalling all my drivers I did notice that the problem seemed to start up after I had installed the most recent nvidia drivers. However I had the same cards and setup when i was running vista and no issues. Also the problem has existed on both motherboards with updataed drivers and chipset drivers.

I'm not really sure where to go next. I suppose i can post a dump file if someone wants to take a look at that as I have no knowledge of how to diagnose an issue from there. I can post system specs and such if need be.

I'd like to knw the specs on the new mobo, and the gen specs on the hardware inside the box if you can.

Also, can you look @ Event Viewer to see if anything was recorded during your shutdown issue? And - how fast does that BSOD flash- can you get a picture of the BSOD itself via camera? (my bsods on W7 are too fast for me).

Are you running 64bit W7 or 32bit?
    Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

You can download windows debugging tools from Microsoft & run the dump file through there.. get the right debugger for your system & there is a pretty good "how-to" there too.
      The output should show a file or process that is linked to the problem you're having... Google should then come up with a few suggestions as to the cause of the problem.
      I found it a bit complicated to use at first but its a great diagnostic tool
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Alright, here are my system specs and what I've found so far

Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI Classified
        CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 965
        Mem: 9 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1333
        Video: EVGA GTX 280 (x2) Not set up in SLI
        Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
        Drives: 3.2TB total space spread over 4 drives
        PSU: Silverstone 1000 Watt
        DVD: Plextor DVD burner
        Misc: Generic media card reader

I think that covers everything. I should also note I currently do not have my cpu or memory overclocked. The Vid cards are overclocked a tad.

On Cazzi's reccomendations I downloaded the debugging tool for windows and fed the mini dump file through it. It says:

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+71f00 )

I tried doing a google search however most of the issues that were coming up were windows not starting up or randomly crashing or rebooting. It seems ntoskrnl.exe is involved with the boot sequence.

I have attached a picture I was able to grab of the blue screen per your request Cutenoob.
        Attached Files

Comment

These are search results I got:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...5aa4278f68e4a4

Looks like the main culprit for 3 of those top links were outdated drivers. Since I don't see your debug log (and will admit that I'm not a very good debugger) I'd check your drivers -especially your USB ones.

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Yeah, that was kind of my thought as well. Although I typically stay up on keeping my drivers updated. I know my chipset, vid and sound drivers are all current. I guess it's time to start combing through and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Working...
            X