This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moviemaking troubles

there. I'm here because my computer has been pissing me off lately. I've been looking into making video reviews and Let's Play videos for YouTube and the like, the latter of which obviously requires recording gameplay (both video and audio). I've been attempting to get my computer to record the video and audio of some old games that I want to provide humorous commentary for. However, in all my attempts the best I could get is video only. I can't for the life of me get my computer to record the game's audio along with the video. Here's what goes on:

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, and using DOSBox 0.63 to try and record gameplay from an old copy of Star Trek 25th Anniversary Edition I had lying around. Research showed me that I would need to remap the shortcut that DOSBox uses to record gameplay, so I did so. However, pressing the shortcut does nothing; no video and/or audio file corresponding to the game can be found. So then I found a Linux program called recordMyDesktop. This is where the video-only recording has been starting. It gives me a movie file with the recording of what I did in the game, but the movie file is silent. So then I find a sort of walkthrough on the Ubuntu forums detailing yet another possible solution. This one uses some sort of sound plugin called JACK. I try to start up audio recording with JACK, but when I try I get a message: "Could not connect to JACK server as a client. Overall operation failed" and "cannot use real-time scheduling". A final suggestion was to just place my microphone next to the speakers and obtain the sound that way, but really? I'll do that, but only after exhausting each and every avenue available to me, which brings me here.

There HAS to be a way for me to record video as well as audio at the same time. If this was possible back in the 60s and 70s with frigging VHS, I don't understand why it's so difficult in 2010!

Please, can anyone ?

I don't know how many people here are Linux guru's, but in case you don't get an answer, I'd give the Ubuntu Forums a shot. I was always able to find an answer to my Linux problems there in the past. (not currently running it for anything).

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
    X