This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I has no sound...

I had to reinstall windows xp due to a malware issue(a joy). Everything's fine and dandy but I can't get the sound card to work. I've tried to use the "add hardware" thing that pops up but that looks for a file in windows cache that apparently doesn't exist. I've looked in xp disc and the support cd for alienware. I've even gone to look for the driver online but it says it's not supported or incompatible and my son is angry because he can't get onto Club Penguin and I feel like an idiot . help!
    "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

I'd check the Device Manager first to see if the sound card is at least identified.

Easiest way to get there is to click Start and the Run and type in devmgmt.msc and then click OK.

There are 2 sections to check.
    Sound, Video, and Game Controllers
    or
    Other Devices

If it's under S, V, and G Controllers, it means the hardware is detected and the drivers have been loaded. If there's a red X on the icon, it means it's disabled. Right click it and choose enable.

If there's a yellow triangle, it means there is either a conflict or a problem with the drivers. Best bet would be right click on it and choose uninstall and then restart your machine. Hope PnP picks it up and installs it properly.

If the icon is green, without any kind of symbol on it, then you've probably got the volume turned down or muted. Check your volume settings.

If it's under "Other Devices" it means Windows detected the hardware but doesn't have the drivers for it. For this, you'll have to download them from the manufacturer's web site. You said Alienware, right? Go here.

You might have more in Other Devices than just your sound card. That link will help you find the other drivers you need.

Hope this helps.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Thanks for the help. I finally got a hold of my brother and the sound card wasn't remotely the one that was originally in the computer. computer geeks...go figure but she is fixed and my son can finally play his club penguin
      "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Working...
      X