This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Starter vs Home Premium

I'm about to buy a netbook (probably this if you're interested). I plan to use it for very basic stuff--Office & basic internet usage. If I'm feeling extra wild, I might buy an external CD drive and use some of the CDs that come with textbooks.
    The netbook comes with Windows 7 Starter but I can get more advanced editions of Windows 7 for cheap at school. Is there anything interesting/useful in them that would make it worth the money to upgrade?

Look here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mpare?T1=tab01
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

upgrading also removes the "Hidden" restrictions of windows 7 starter, for example they don't advertise that starter will only allow you to have a maximum of three programs running at any one time, etc.

the upgrades to other windows 7 packages are really worth it, look around to see if you can find (or if someone will provide) a full list of differences.
      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Thanks for the link. My main concern is the differences between the Starter edition and the others, which I've had problems finding. My google-fu is not so good right now--do you know of any other limitations in the Starter edition? I think the limit to 3 apps at once is enough to make me buy a better edition.

Comment

Wikipedia has a good chart describing the different versions, and as far as I've read, the 3-program limit doesn't include programs that run in the background, like antivirus applications.

Comment

Thanks RichS, that chart in the Wiki is very useful.

(plans memory upgrade....)
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Am I the only one who finds the 3 concurrent process limit to be a bit insane and unreasonable? It's like selling a car, but it comes with 3 tires. If you actually wanted to go somewhere in the car, you have to shell out more money for the 4th tire.

I guess I've been in the Linux world for so long that now that I'm glancing back in the Windows, I see nothing but a prison on the other side, but sheesh.
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
              X