This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Trojan?

I run my scheduled antivirus like I always do, and tonight it turns up not one, not two, but TWELVE Trojans. Or, what it has pegged as Trojans...and it won't let me delete them, says the file is too big.

I've had something like this happen once before. Turned out to be a "fake" virus - it was some kind of McAfee add-on to the program that was legit, only something in it tripped off my antivirus (which is NOT McAfee) into tagging it as a threat. Which was why I couldn't delete the thing via my antivirus; I had to delete it directly.

This time it might appear similar, because again, I can't delete these things with my antivirus. However, being that I am a total n00b when it comes to technical issues, I seek the wisdom of those who are significantly more intelligent than I am on these matters. (Translation: I don't know if these things are just harmless junk or actual threats.)

This is the virus name: Trojan horse Generic17.BDGV (All 12 have the same name)

This is the file they are in: C:\DATA BACKUP\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\UserProfiles\All Users\antiSpyware\dat\ASP7D5.tmp\aspapp\ocpinst.ex e

Six of these files also have a little "\$IK" after the .exe ending there.

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment.

Edit to add: Just found this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/...antivirus_flaw Could this have something to do with it? As I said, I don't use McAfee but I know it was on here at some point.
    Last edited by Amethyst Hunter; 04-22-2010, 05:25 AM. Reason: added stuff
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Which antivirus are you running?
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

AVG.

I also ran a MalwareBytes scan, but that one turned up nothing.
      ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Trojan horse Generic17.BDGV
        This usually means "we think it's a trojan, it's doing some things that a trojan would do, but we can't figure out for the life of us what it is".

As it stands, it's a false positive. Though if you don't use AoHell in the first place (I'm surprised it still exists), just look in your uninstall programs in your Control panel and remove it anyway.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

that issue took down my call center for over 3 hrs yesterday when ALL the comps froze at the same time figures it was my day off
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Though if you don't use AoHell in the first place (I'm surprised it still exists)
            A family friend uses AOHell...last night she was going to install a beta release of the "new and improved" software that for some reason they had pushed out to all users.

Technically-uninclined person + beta software =
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
            X