This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Whiskey View Post
    I want to build my own because I like doing it.
    I do it for that reason, and that I know what components I'm putting into it. I don't have to worry about weak, substandard, or proprietary parts from a manufactured system, which IMO makes up for the cost difference.

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
      I do it for that reason, and that I know what components I'm putting into it. I don't have to worry about weak, substandard, or proprietary parts from a manufactured system, which IMO makes up for the cost difference.
      Theres one local parts store here. They'll slide you a couple things if you're a regular too. Cool guys. I don't think I can buy online regardless of savings. I'm the last generation of "I have to touch it before I buy it"
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Hah! I'm building my own computer too. Right now, the monitor is in Secaucus, NJ, the DVD Rom drive and speakers are in Lexington, KY, the keyboard is in Nevada, the mouse is in Brooklyn, the UPS is in Georgia, and the rest is in two different towns in Massachusetts. Fed Ex is going to love me.

Why? "To see if I can."

After comparison shopping on Amazon and Newegg, I discovered that it seems to be mostly the Windows license that puts the price of a Frankenchip over the top; to be honest, my father probably could have knocked one together out of spare parts without my paying a nickel. (He works in IT and collects computer parts like my mother collects yarn.)

That having been said, the computer I wound up buying was stump-simple. I wanted my first homegrown device in 15 years to actually work, so I chose not to make it too hard on myself, deciding to upgrade, Grampa's-Axe style, over the next few years rather than try to buy the hottest technology right out of the starting gate.

Love, Who?

Comment

My issue is I want the best of everything. I could easily spend 2k on a rig.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
            for a monster homebuilt that would be a conservative estimate. i have built gaming rigs that without loading an os ended up pricing out at 3500. but that was pre pci-e. back when you could get 3 pc vid cards and sli them together. ah the good old days
            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

The only thing is, I have no reason to build something like that except internet dickwaving contests. Then again, if I could run it I might start gaming. Who knows

Comment

i agree, i did it for the payout, they paid for my upgrades as compensation. built my current frankenputer for just under 400 with os upgrade, was a major score
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                  Check out the Dream Machine 2010 in the September issue of Maximum PC: $15,782 homebuilt!
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                  X