This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird.

I was online, chatting with a friend on Facebook and doing other things, when this message popped up:

"The instruction at 0x75c7e000 referenced memory at 0xffff1fff. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program."

I hit Ctrl + Alt +Delete, which didn't help. I closed all the windows and tried again. Nothing.

I tried the power button. Again, nothing.

Unplugged the computer, waited a few minutes, plugged it in, yes, I know Windows wasn't shut down normally, started it up, it works fine now, as far as I can see. Anyone know what causes this?

sounds like a memory buffer overloaded.

Buffers are designated "parking" spaces on RAM for programs to use.
    Let's say Word has 256MB memory marked out on the RAM. Even though you've opened a doc and haven't typed on it, the application is still "using" the 256. (and it's only filled about 16MB so far).

Now, when there is bad coding, an application wants to write PAST the parking spots (buffer) for it.

The glass filled up and spilled.

Was this WOW that did this?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

No, believe it or not - I've never even played WoW. I had two Internet windows and one Word window open. And Skype. That's it.

It was a WerFault.exe warning, and no, don't worry; I didn't delete the application.

Comment

WerFault.exe is the program Windows uses to report errors, so I doubt that was it unless something else crashed at the same time. Is this the only time it's happened or does it happen frequently?
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

It's the first time this has ever happened. The error message kept popping up and popping up, even when I clicked the "OK" button. Finally, I took a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down the whole message.

Comment

I've seen this happen occasionally as a glitch. Sometimes a program burps and drops something where it shouldn't. Usually, once you clear it, you don't see the error again for a long time. Unless it starts happening constantly, you probably don't have much to worry about. If it does start happening repeatedly, see if it happens with one particular program consistantly. Depending on the answer, that can tell us what to look at next.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Geek:

was I correct tho in my analogy? RAM/mem is ok with me as hardware, but programming/buffers/addressing is still kind of gray for me.
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                Geek:

was I correct tho in my analogy? RAM/mem is ok with me as hardware, but programming/buffers/addressing is still kind of gray for me.
                Close enough for what we need right now. It's kind of like owning property. As long as the program is putting things on its assigned space in memory, everyone's cool. If it screws up and sets something outside of its property for whatever reason*, various other programs might sqawk.

I really haven't run into a need to get more exact outside of writing an OS, or taking a class in Assembly language. You probably need to know more for processor design, but I'm not likely to be doing that in my lifetime.

*reasons include, but are not limited to: buffer overruns, programming errors addressing memory outside of allocation, portions of memory going bad.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

May I ask how much memory you have in there? What the message tells you is that:

Code:
                  The instruction at 0x75c7e000
                  This translates to location 1,976,033,280 (just under 2GB). And...

Code:
                  referenced memory at 0xffff1fff
                  which puts it at the 4,294,909,951 (almost 4.3GB) mark.

Now, if you have a 32-bit non-PAE system, then the 3.5-4G addresses would be where the I/O and stuff sits (which is why some machines will only display 3.5GB when you have 4GB installed - the "top" 512MB is reserved for I/O). If this is a PAE or 64-bit machine, then I'd guess that it's a small quirk that happened, and not to worry too much. Otherwise, it looks as if the program sitting at that location thought it could access what it thinks is memory waaaaay up there, where only I/O or no memory is present.

Also, if the program was writing there, it may well have been to an I/O device - you mention Skype, which will stream audio and video, so I'd assume that it would want to write directly to the video, audio, and network adaptors (or use DirectX to do this) for greater speed. My hunch would be to see if Skype either needs to be updated, or has updated and the new version doesn't like your system.

barcode
                  I do octal and binary, too!

Comment

Working...
                  X