This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Internet

So thanks to new job, I need to figure out internet. I've been told that the previous renter of the trailer I'll be living in used Verizon for internet. However, I've heard a lot about Hughes Net. But I don't know enough about internet to know what I'd need in terms of of connection.

So any advice?
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Last time I looked into it (several years ago) the download speed was ok, but upload speed was slow, which make it fine for surfing, but not for gaming (too much lag for returning information).

I'd check on DSL reports reviews and see what is said there.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Satellite -- judging by the computers I have to remote into which are connected on satellite -- is often as slow as or worse than a modern dial-up connection. If you have to telecommute or work online at all it won't be reliable. You definitely want wired internet -- FiOS if you can get it is excellent; otherwise Verizon has DSL which should be okay as long as you aren't way out in the sticks far away from the central office or DSLAM.

Comment

Turns out Verizon doesn't does DSL out here, and every local cable company says that my new address is outside its service area *cries*
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Most (all?) satellite services have a mandatory multiyear contract and data capacity caps.

I'm using a Cricket mobile broadband USB modem.
          Month to month, no contract $45.

Signal is marginal here, youtube is about half play half pause.

No DSL, no cable.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Is it limited at all? Because Verizon mobile broadband says I'm limited 5 GB download a month and I do a lot of Skype chat/IMing and I'm not sure how much that eats up.
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

The reason why satellite is considered so slow is because of how it works. The high speed signal is one way, from the satellite to the dish. From your computer out though, it uses a phone modem for that signal. So download is faster than dial up, but upload is the same, which is what tends to bog it down. This of course doesn't factor in company clampdowns either.

Basically, for standard browsing and email, where download is going to be the vast majority, you might, depending on company, get a somewhat better than dialup. If you need to have a fair amount of tw-way traffic though, I'd say find another option.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I had Wildblue service for about 3 years, and when I first signed up, they had just gone live. Speed was fast, I loved it. Then more and more people started signing up, and then the speed went to hell in a handbasket, sometimes getting slower than dialup. This one was a 2 way system; upload and download went through the dish. The slightest rain squall would knock it out, and I'd lose connection all the time if the weather was bad at the Earth station (which for me was in Syracuse), even though the weather at my place was okay. Cable finally came out to my area and I jumped off as fast as I could.

If it's your only option, satellite can at times be better than dial-up, but if you have another high speed option, I'd seriously consider it over satellite. My $0.02.
                A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I was able to get a hold of Time Warner Cable, and the sales guy swore that they could get a cable out to the trailer. So...signed up for cable internet.

Now, hopefully, they'll be able to get a cable out to the internet or I'll be a very unhappy camper. And going to demand a refund on my payment.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

That's great news. I wouldn't make a habit of relying too much on ISP sales people though. Just recently a Verizon rep swore up and down I would have 10/10Mb DSL. I found it unlikely but thought maybe they actually had SDSL around here for once. Of course it turns out to be ADSL with 768k upstream.

Comment

Working...
                    X