This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Repeater - Babyproofing the Media Cabinet

My 10-month-old son just figured out how to push buttons on the home theater equipment. (It was actually really funny--I wish I could have captured the look of surprise on his face when he pushed the Eject button on the DVD player and had the disc tray nearly poke him right between the eyes.) I had hoped we'd have a couple more months, but he's determined to be up and moving. In fact, I think he'd be walking now if his big head didn't make him top-heavy.

Anyway, while I was working for Major Electronics Retailer, a media cabinet went on clearance from nearly $200.00 to $6.99, and I couldn't pass up a deal like that. It looks good, and it's held up over the years, but the shelves where the components go have no doors. I think I can make my own simple doors with some wood and hinges, thus keeping the baby out of them for a while longer, but I can't figure out how to still use my remotes without getting up to open the cabinet doors and closing them again when I'm done.

I thought about making the doors into some kind of frame in which I could put glass or plexiglass, but that's much more work than I have time for at the moment. Then I thought I remembered seeing some kind of "remote control extenders" online and I wondered if I could get something like that to work.

Google searches have been less than promising.

Does anybody here on my favorite website know if there is a device I could purchase for a reasonably low price (less than $50, I hope) that would sit on top of the cabinet and relay the remote signals to the components behind the closed doors?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882145062

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880122006
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Not sure how well it works, but this is available:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049642

-Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

What about plugging everything into a power strip, and turning the whole strip OFF when you're not home, or near it?
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Most real media cabinets have some kind of smoked glass in the doors, so IR signals go through it.

Comment

csquared and AdamAnt316: Those aren't quite what I was imagining, but they might work. I'll have to check them out in more detail. Perhaps some local electronics store might have some... Thank you.

Cutenoob: That would work, though I'd have to reset the VCR clock (not that I use it much anyway). Then we'd just have to keep the baby away from the electronics when we're actually using them.

Chromatix: True. Mine's not technically a "cabinet," I suppose, because it doesn't have any doors. It's a solid surface with shelves beneath that's shaped to hold a TV and components. I'm planning to make doors, though, and I don't know if I have time, talent, or resources to do glass.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

HS, how many components are we talking about here,(eg. tv, vcr, dvd, cable box) and do any of them have the options for a rf remote?
              This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
              my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                I thought about making the doors into some kind of frame in which I could put glass or plexiglass, but that's much more work than I have time for at the moment.
                How about making a frame for the doors, then putting screening in the opening? To resist the baby's efforts, you could use something like hardware cloth.

Another thought is to have solid doors, but cut slots in them for the IR signal.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

SteeleDragon78: Behind the doors I want to build, I would have the VCR, a DVD player, and the Wii console (though the sensor bar is on top of the TV, which would not be behind doors, so that's not a problem). And I'm not sure about the RF remote option; that's new to me. What is it, and how would I know if I can use it?

Ironclad Alibi: Intriguing. I imagine that a wire mesh might disrupt or block the IR signal. Would it get through this cloth of which you speak or some other kind of screen? It would have to be tough enough for a baby to put his weight against it without tearing it.

I'm sure I could find some more options if I'd just take the time to go shopping, but that won't happen for a few more days.
                  - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

If you can see the IR sensor's window through the mesh, it can see your remote control's signal. If you can get rigid or semi-rigid mesh, that sounds like a relatively easy way of making doors.

Comment

Ironclad Alibi: Intriguing. I imagine that a wire mesh might disrupt or block the IR signal. Would it get through this cloth of which you speak or some other kind of screen? It would have to be tough enough for a baby to put his weight against it without tearing it.
                      Since the IR signal is light, a metal screen should not bother it. The hardware cloth is a heavy metal screen with about 1/4" openings. It is frequently used on the bottom half of screen doors to prevent babies and pets from breaking though.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

SteeleDragon78: Behind the doors I want to build, I would have the VCR, a DVD player, and the Wii console (though the sensor bar is on top of the TV, which would not be behind doors, so that's not a problem). And I'm not sure about the RF remote option; that's new to me. What is it, and how would I know if I can use it?
                        for those 2 i would say that the rf remote option would work, basically the rf remote talks to a little pyramid in the cabinet that uses a couple of little ir blasters to operate your equipment. i know dishnetwork uses them for their 2-room receivers, and i think radioshack had something similar a while back, little googlefu and i got this and this i think these would both suit your needs quite nicely
                        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X