This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop BSoD

So my boyfriends laptop has a habit of blue screening on him. He refuses to take it to be fixed because it's not hampering him more than not having the laptop while it gets fixed would.

I thinks it's getting more frequent and I'm worried it's in danger of becoming a rather expensive paper weight, so I thought I'd ask y'alls advice.

So, it used to be that it only every blue screened in the 10 or 15 minutes after it was booted up, usually after he'd carried it to my house, on it's side. However it began to do that even if he hadn't taken it anywhere, and recently it's done it once or twice after it's been on for a few hours.

Oh, it's running Vista.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Yeah, we definately need more info. We'll need what the blue screen is saying.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
      Yeah, we definately need more info. We'll need what the blue screen is saying.
      Oh, it's running Vista.
      I think we have all the info we really need
      But slightly more seriously, you are probably going to find it easier to reinstall and you might as well install an OS that works from the start
      "My experience has taught me one thing. A shaved cat is much angrier than an unshaved cat."
      Chester Holiday Apartment

Comment

I would try an OS re-install (backup your pics and music and whatnot first)

If that doesn't solve your problem... then it is overheating most likely.
        There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
          If that doesn't solve your problem... then it is overheating most likely.
          Or bad sectors on the hard drive (sometimes reloading the OS can help if the critical files are put in a different sector but eventually the drive will fail).

If it's not 100% but when you're doing something (like unplugging a USB / PCMCIA modem) it could be bad drivers, too.

People could write a book on what causes BSODs.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            People could write a book on what causes BSODs.
            And they would invariably leave out the one that is causing your BSOD.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Do this

When it next BSODs, take a picture of it (make sure it's sharp, text is readable) and post it here.

Since it's Vista, that's a STOP error, which means a "fatal" malfunction in kernelspace -- which could be anything from a buggy anti-cheat stub to serious motherboard damage.

Comment

Working...
              X