This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking sound from my hard drive.

I'm guessing that this is a Very Bad Thing.

It's a Macbook laptop running Snow Leopard, and unfortunately I'm right on the end of the warranty... any later than December 1st, I'm out of luck. Been backing it up frequently. Anything else I can do/check?

If it's still under warranty, get Apple to see it ASAP. You may be able to get them to replace the hard drive before it completely fails (or with luck, it'll fail while they have it ).
    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post
      If it's still under warranty, get Apple to see it ASAP. You may be able to get them to replace the hard drive before it completely fails (or with luck, it'll fail while they have it ).
      Evil! I like how you think.

I'll make sure I take it in this week even if it hasn't kicked the bucket yet, just to have that on record.

Comment

Have a look in Disk Utility and see what it says about the SMART status of the drive. If that shows trouble, there shouldn't be any difficulty in getting it repaired under warranty.

By the way, I recomend taking a backup of your own before sending it off. All you need is a generic external HD, and you can let Time Machine do the rest.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          Have a look in Disk Utility and see what it says about the SMART status of the drive. If that shows trouble, there shouldn't be any difficulty in getting it repaired under warranty.

By the way, I recomend taking a backup of your own before sending it off. All you need is a generic external HD, and you can let Time Machine do the rest.
          Oh, absolutely.

I have an exteral HD with two partitions, one is a full bootable clone that I update about once a week and the other is Time Machine backups that run every hour while I'm working. I'm paranoid about loosing stuff. But I'm definitely doing another clone and keeping that as current as possible.

Comment

I think it may be wise to have another separate DRIVE for a backup before you send it off. As it is already stated the drive in the computer is failing and worse case scenario is going to die during a backup corrupting all your data. Along with the fact once you ship the computer off you now only have one drive with all your stuff that is prone to failure as they may very well destroy or replace the one in your mac.....

Of course this paranoia is coming from someone who has the important stuff off their laptop on their media server as well as an external hard drive that is in a fire safe, along with a spare flash drive for really important stuff. and Extremely important stuff gets put on a rewriteable DVD.... I don't intend on losing much. Only thing I have wrong is everything is in one physical location as I don't feel need for eccentricity of safety deposit box. Don't like security of online backup sites, and a nuclear holocaust shelter with rapid response swat team is a little over my budget.
            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
            X