X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac mini and dial-up connection

Morning all!

A colleague of mine uses a Mac Mini on dialup on the tesco.net service in the UK. Over the last couple of days, it's failed to connect.

http://memberservices.tesco.net/Tesc...iceStatus.aspx is the URL for the service status - it's blocked at work for some reason. Am asking for unblocking, but Google cache reckons it's currently thought of as fine on dialup.

The cable goes straight from the phone lines to the computer, so no external modem is involved.

Symptoms are:

Dialing, sometimes times out, disconnects and reconnects. Sometimes it connects, authenticated, then says "disconnected by peer". Then says 'resetting modem' and starts dialing again. After a few goes, it says unable to connect and please try again.

Been doing this a couple of days. I've very little experience of Macs, so asking the wider community if there are any obvious things to try out.

All assistance appreciated.

Rapscallion

I've never had a mac but when the dial up of old computer was in the living room and doing that it usually meant the modem was dying. Not sure if that was always the case the computer itself was old. Changing it out usually solved the problem.

Comment

if it's the modem your friend might want to consider an external...

i've used a usb modem for my macbook because it doesn't have an internal dialup modem (ethernet only).

google search: usb dial up modem for mac

Comment

Good idea - are there any diagnostics for Macs to give an idea of whether or not it's a hardware issue?

Rapscallion

Comment

Nothing really officially Apple-released, as Apple hasn't really "supported" modems in a while to my knowledge.

I think the best other option is to 1) establish that it's not line noise/loose connection somewhere, and 2) try another modem/computer on the same line to prove the modem is at fault.
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
            I think the best other option is to 1) establish that it's not line noise/loose connection somewhere, and 2) try another modem/computer on the same line to prove the modem is at fault.
            Once it's been established that all cords are plugged in (and none are damaged), it's time to try a different computer.

Or, conversely, try the same computer at a different location. See which side keeps the issue.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Force 33.6 .

Anything change?
              "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
              - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Force 33.6? Is that a model?

Anyway, I won't see said colleague until Monday, and though she has this URL she won't see anything until back at work where she has a connection. Will check in then.

Rapscallion

Comment

Means to change the maximum speed of the modem. On a Mac there is often a choice of scripts per modem, for this very purpose.

Comment

Okay, since I never work with Macs, how is that done? As in step-by-step instructions.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Good idea - are there any diagnostics for Macs to give an idea of whether or not it's a hardware issue?

Rapscallion
                      Does your friend have the Apple Care Protection Plan? A worthwhile purchase on new Macs (normally I'm not a big fan of extended warranties, but this one is worth it). You get free, unlimited tech support on the phone for 3 years. You also get a tool, Tech Tool Deluxe that can test the modem if your friend's mini has one.

The newer Macs don't come with modems anymore, but you didn't say how old this mini actually is, and I'm not sure if the first mini's had modems or not.

If you know anyone who has this tool, you might borrow it and test the modem. Does your area have an Apple Store? I don't know if you have them in the UK or not. The Genius Bar offers free tech support on site; bring your computer in and they will test it for you.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        Okay, since I never work with Macs, how is that done? As in step-by-step instructions.
                        System Preferences, Network, select the modem connection from the list, click Advanced, then change the modem model (not vendor).

If it's an Apple modem, there are four scripts to choose from on the version I'm using, labelled v32, v34, v90 and v92. In general the higher numbers are faster protocols while the lower numbers can be more robust but slower.

Other vendors might not supply the same level of choice. You could try using the Apple scripts anyway, since it's all AT command set stuff, but remember the old one to go back to.

To start with, select the lowest number, as if that doesn't work there is definitely a problem. You might also want to turn off the compression and error correction using the handy checkbox, to give it the shortest startup time and thus some chance of doing *something*. You should notice the sounds the modem makes (if they are audible at all) change significantly.

If the modem tries to connect but seemingly keeps getting interrupted and restarting the handshake sounds, there may be a line fault (crackle crackle). This is usually audible when making a voice call on the line.

If it doesn't get past dialling, the possibilities are endless but the first things to check are the cables and manually dialling the ISP's number (you should hear beeps from the modem at the other end).

Comment

Some good advice, thanks. Have advised my colleague to print this out, take it home, and test what she can. May be the external modem as the best idea, but we'll try the inexpensive things first.

Rapscallion

Comment

Any luck?

Comment

No idea - must have been on non-conjoining shifts yesterday (I didn't check, and we do tend to rotate around the building and shifts as per business needs).

Will update when I have info, thanks

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X