This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• google search redrect

I have gotten something in my system that is redrecting searches in google. I have used spybot and it has not helped. Also microsoft security essenituals is not working. I have unloaded and reloaded essenituals already. I am running XP.

I just did a bing search and the same thing happened.
    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Try ad aware that has caught stuff spybot missed for me before.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Another thing to check is if you have a proxy defined. I've seen them added after an infection. Under Internet Properties, Connections, LAN Settings the box for Proxy Server should be unchecked.

Comment

Winsock

Try winsockfix more than likely you've picked up something that's fiddled with your host file. You can tell if you open a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type

Ipconfig /displaydns

If it gives a load of entries to do with stuff like conduit etc it's the host files.

Best way to clean the machine is boot into safe mode (on startup keep tapping f8 key until you get menu offering safe mode etc) select safe mode with networking. Then use malwarebytes to scan the machine for nasties, keep updating malwarebytes and scanning from safe mode until it's clean and then repeat the process from out with safe mode.

Next remove any toolbars from Internet explorer (add/remove programs) etc and then clean up the registry (ccleaner is good for this).

Check Internet explorer for proxies as discussed above and finally run winsock fix to clear out the hosts etc.

I'm trying to type this with an iPad (damn you autocorrect!) so I'm not able to give you links at the moment but all the tools are linked in the sticky at the top of the forum. Hopefully this should sort you out. If you need anymore info on the above methods just shout.

John

Edit

Forgot to add. Through my day job I end up doing this a lot. Especially to get rid of fake av etc. Personally I would advise you to get a kaspersky or symantec antivirus/Internet security package. They're not expensive and seem to be far more effective than the other common free and paid for packages - especially macafee, shudder!

/edit
        Last edited by Amadan; 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to add info about av
        Not y3k compatible

Comment

Under Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab:

1. Make sure there are no Dial-up or VPNs configured (unless you specifically know you need one).

2. Click the LAN settings button, make sure "automatic configuration script" and "proxy server" are unchecked. You may also want to uncheck "automatically detect settings"; if that causes you issues you can re-check it.

Directory C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc:
          Examine the file "hosts". It should be mostly empty, with a few comment lines prefixed with a "#". It may say "127.0.0.1 localhost". If it contains entries that point popular websites to a specific IP address, it may have been modified by malware. (If it contains a bunch of entries that have been directed to 127.0.0.1, this is probably security software like Spybot at work.) If it's suspicious, delete it and replace it with an empty text file.

Comment

Washu-chan: i had a computer.. that was redirecting searches
            Washu-chan: on every system
            TheSHAD0W: Oh?
            Washu-chan: yes
            TheSHAD0W: Somebody was having that problem in the customerssuck.com forum...
            Washu-chan: the computer was infected
            Washu-chan: but
            Washu-chan: turns out , the computer had logged into the default router pw's
            TheSHAD0W: Ocrap.
            Washu-chan: and the router was redirecting DNS

You may have to check that...

Comment

I finally got this fixed. I found this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/.
              "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Working...
              X