This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP product key

I want to reinstall Windows XP on my laptop, and when I put in the Operating System CD, it asks me for the product key from the certificate of authentication. I've looked through all the paperwork that I saved from when I bought the laptop in 2004, but I cannot find a product key for Windows XP anywhere.

Windows XP is up and running currently on the laptop (I want to reformat and reinstall). Is there any place on the running system that I can get the product key so I can use it during the reinstall?

thanks

Check for a sticker on the computer itself. If you registered the OS with Microsoft they may be able to give you the key if you can verify your name and address. That's something we do for our customers, but we aren't Microsoft; I don't know for certain they do that.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Ah, thank you very much! There is a sticker on the back of the computer. I never would have thought to look there...

Comment

I've been able to reinstall Windows XP on top of the previous installation. It did not actually reformat the hard drive, so some files from before are still there. I had some files under "My Documents" for the user account I was using before. I want to be able to access these files and move them over to the "My Documents" section of the new account that windows created for me after the reinstall.

Whenever I try to look at the directory under the name of the previous account it tells me "access denied". I'm running from an account that is a computer administrator type (as the previous one was as well).

How do I get access to the files under the previous account name?

thanks

Comment

When you reinstalled you changed all your account information, those files have locked file permissions based off the old user accounts, outside of using a linux based boot disk to copy the files to another location and hence ignoring the windows file permissions I don't know an easy way. I would suggest seeing if you have a friend who is good with computers who would understand what I mentioned because if you do it wrong, lots can be destroyed.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

is it actual Administrator/passowrd or a user account that's admin level?

so it's c:\documents & settings\%olduser%\oldStuff?
            and you are c:\documents & settings\%userdifferent%\stuff...
            and you want to get to \%olduser%\oldstuff?

Have you tried F8 Safe mode and logging in under the Administrator account, not YOUR account?
            Try F8 Safe mode and try the OLD account, and move it to a folder c:\oldshit that you create.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

is it actual Administrator/passowrd or a user account that's admin level?
              I'm using a user account that's admin level. This is XP home edition. Is there an account called Administrator here? If there is, I don't know what its password is (it didn't prompt me to enter one during installation). I have XP Pro at work and I know there is an Administrator account there, but I don't know if there is one in the home edition.

so it's c:\documents & settings\%olduser%\oldStuff?
              and you are c:\documents & settings\%userdifferent%\stuff...
              and you want to get to \%olduser%\oldstuff?
              Yes.

Have you tried F8 Safe mode and logging in under the Administrator account, not YOUR account?
              I haven't tried that. As I said, is there an Administrator account?

Try F8 Safe mode and try the OLD account, and move it to a folder c:\oldshit that you create.
              Do you mean log in under the old username and password? Does that account info even still exist after the reinstall?

When you reinstalled you changed all your account information, those files have locked file permissions based off the old user accounts, outside of using a linux based boot disk to copy the files to another location and hence ignoring the windows file permissions I don't know an easy way. I would suggest seeing if you have a friend who is good with computers who would understand what I mentioned because if you do it wrong, lots can be destroyed.
              Sounds like there's no way to do it within windows. Maybe the IT guy at work can help me.

thanks

Comment

When XP is installed, in the beginning where settings (time zone, name of pc) are done, there is an Administrator Account created. God Admin. there is a password set there.

So when going in at F8, Safe Mode, there should be an Administrator and Your Account name under it. Log in as Administrator account not yours. [URL="http://www.computertroublesolver.com/image-files/safemode_admin_screen.gif"[/URL]

I don't know how you can install OVER the old stuff unless you did a Repair.

The old account name MAY not be there, if it is, try it. But put your efforts into the Administrator account.

There ARE ways, you need to try these steps we give you. There is no *snapfinger* magic way to do this.
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Boot from a linux boot disk and copy the old files to a USB drive ( these are usually FAT formatted so the permissions drop off) then boot to your normal op system and put them where you want.

Comment

Right click on the folder and change the permissions from the properties menu. Remember to tick the change sub folders and files box.

Afaik the options for permissions are ownership and somewhere in the advanced tab, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll post better info as I'm posting this from an iPad. It's a quick fix so I should beable to post a step by step tomorrow.

(it's 10.30 p here and I'm up at 4.30am to drive down south)
                    Not y3k compatible

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
                      Right click on the folder and change the permissions from the properties menu. Remember to tick the change sub folders and files box.

Afaik the options for permissions are ownership and somewhere in the advanced tab, if I get a chance tomorrow I'll post better info as I'm posting this from an iPad. It's a quick fix so I should beable to post a step by step tomorrow.

(it's 10.30 p here and I'm up at 4.30am to drive down south)

This is the correct answer but with XP home you need to boot in safe mode for the options to be available.

Safe Mode
                      Right Click the folder
                      Properties
                      Security Tab
                      Advanced
                      Owner Tab
                      Add your current accout as the owneer
                      Check mark on replace owner of subcontainers and objects
                      Apply and OK

That should get you in to the folder to copy your stuff.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I will do so, and will let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Success

Quoth Imprl59 View Post
                          This is the correct answer but with XP home you need to boot in safe mode for the options to be available.

Safe Mode
                          Right Click the folder
                          Properties
                          Security Tab
                          Advanced
                          Owner Tab
                          Add your current accout as the owneer
                          Check mark on replace owner of subcontainers and objects
                          Apply and OK

That should get you in to the folder to copy your stuff.
                          Thank you Imprl59, I followed these instructions and was able to access the files from the old account. Knowing about F8/Safe Mode will come in handy in the future, I'm sure.

Comment

As for whether or not the old files are still there, I've found with my XP Pro install that even if I use the same user name when I reinstall, my old stuff is intact, just moved to a UserName.OLD folder. I assume it's the same with Home edition.

Congrats on getting it to work!
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                            X