This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Power Supply dead

Short version: Anyone having problems with Dell power supplies and apparently they non-standard and only dell can replace it?

-------------------

I have a inspiron 570 that I have had for about 45days, today when I came home it had apparently died with the power light still on in the front but all my usb stuff was turned off and not able to remote in, restarted, turned my one VM back on when to try something evil got a BSOD, restarted, went to check event viewer got BSOD, next time I got halfway to windows and it restarted. Decided to try memtest86, crashed before even showing anything. Went to Dell bios to boot their diagnostics, ran about 30 seconds of mem testing and random numbers and letters appeared and a constant beep, killed power. Tried to restart, won't turn on. Reseated my ram, still won't turn on.

Contacted dell and they say it is my power supply. According to a friend they had their dell power supply die last month too. Anyone deal with a lot of dells lately and notice crapper than normal parts? I mean for the most part dell is alright, I only went with them as i grabbed a good deal in the outlet store.... in retrospect not so much.

What annoys me is apparently they don't use a standard ATX power supply so I can't drop in the brand new extra one i have laying around.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Dell were apparently switching the wiring on the atx connector for a while here in the uk but I've never run into one. Certainly the worst we ever see is the case needing a dremeling to remove a metal lug that stops an atx psu actually fitting.

If the old psu still runs the best way to test is with a psu tester or failing that you can test them with a multimeter.

Not sure on it being the psu, though it's probably worth trying as it'd be a quick fix.
    Not y3k compatible

Comment

I haven't seen a nonstandard pinout on a Dell powersupply in years. They did that back around 2001. A standard 24pin power supply works fine though you sometimes have to watch the port for the cord and powerswitch as some aftermarket powersupplies put them in a place where they interfere with the case.

Im going to be surprised if this one turn out to be a power supply though. Sounds more like a motherboard or memory issue.

Comment

I did upgrade my ram a week ago, but actually noticed this issue of it randomly locking up 3 weeks ago and thought nothing of it.

Tried a known good supply, with no success, it looks like the P4 connector has different colored wires, I think im gonna look up the supply that is in it

edit:
        Also, I removed the new ram, tried to boot it, removed old ram put in new ram tried to boot it. So I guess it could be a motherboard issue too if they are using the atx standard, wondering if i can fidn a pinout for Delta Electronics "DPS-300AB-24 G Rev 00" i had to take off the G rev 00 when googling to get a better results.
        Last edited by underemployeed; 04-20-2011, 04:40 AM.
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I have seen first hand an Antec PSU smoke the motherboard in an Optiplex 780. Dell tends to do weird crap with PSUs and I personally dont do a third party replacement anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X