This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxio restore failure

Can't recall the exact name of the said program, but anyhow........I'd tried to restore my computer to a previous state last night, Roxio crashed in the middle of the process, and now the computer will NOT boot up at all - it will turn on, but gives that "Windows was not shut down properly..." screen, and keeps restarting itself/repeating that same screen over and over.

And I'm not sure what to do, because it didn't come with any discs, nor can I use any on it (no CD-rom drive), and calling Hewlett-Packard isn't an option because I can't hear that well over the phone.

*oh yes, the laptop in question is an HP mini 110, I've had it since December 2009, and it's running Windows XP*
    Last edited by KellyHabersham; 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM.

Using a pendrive loader to run the XP installer from a USB thumb drive is the standard approach. Likewise, Vista, 7, or anything Linux.

failing that, balance an IDE CD-ROM or DVD-ROM on top of an IDE->USB enclosure. I used exactly that to install TurboTax 2009 on my mother's HP mini.

Comment

Well, my computer had other things going on before this crash happened, so I'm planning to take it to the nearest Data Doctors next Friday, and hopefully they will be able to fix whatever is going on, and it won't take up too much of my paycheck. Otherwise, my only option is to cancel my contract with Verizon, because I can't afford to upgrade to a Tablet, and don't want to keep paying for a service which I cannot use.

Comment

An Update:

Took the laptop to Data Doctors last week, and while they were able to get most of the issues fixed, the bad news is that it was discovered that the motherboard is failing, and the tech whom I spoke with told me it is NOT worth paying to get a new one.

So, it looks like I will have to get either another laptop or upgrade to a Tablet in the near future, but my laptop is functioning okay for right now......it's just not known how long it will last before going out for good.

Comment

Working...
        X