This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonky Popup Ads

Today I started having wonky popup ads when visiting some web sites. The popup ad will appear in the upper left corner of the screen. However, it is not a complete ad. Parts of it will blink on and off (or in and out). Scrolling the screen can cause them to blink on and off. Clicking on them doesn't seem to do anything. There is no "x" or "close" to click on to get rid of it, or such things appear briefly and disappear. The ads are for Ally Bank, HP, Google, Android, VW, Microsoft, Best Western, etc. This happened on CNN.cm, NotAlwaysRight.com, WashingtonPost.com, Snopes.com, and others. These are all web sites I visit frequently, and have not encountered this problem before.

The problem is I can't close them and they block the content I am trying to view.

This happening on my new HP g7 laptop computer which I have had for less than a week. It is running Windows 7 64-bit and Windows Explorer 9. I ran the latest version of MalWareBytes which found nothing. I am connected to the Internet via a hotel system. I tried it both wired and wireless.

Data from malWareBytes:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6613

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    I also ran HouseCall.

Any ideas what might be going on here or how to stop the problem?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Does it still happen if you use a different browser?

Comment

I haven't tried a different browser, but it was on the list. However, I remembered a new version of Flash player was installed just before this started happening. Version 10.3. After I disabled the Flash player, the problem seems to have stopped.

Comment

It was indeed a problem with Flash player 10.3. Adobe has a web page devoted to the problem, in case anyone else is having it.

Comment

Working...
        X