This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista NTVDM.exe with OpenOffice

Yeah, the two laptops in the house are still stuck with the "Windows 7 beta" known as Vista. Mom doesn't see why I can't use the version of Win7 that Navi has (um, because it's not a multilicense copy and has already been installed...aren't you against piracy?). Anyhoo...

Both laptops have OpenOffice. I'm trying to update from 3.0 to 3.2 on mine (mom's laptop will likely give me the same problems), and keep getting a fatal error involving ntvdm.exe (which seems to be a 16-bit VM; I've never encountered this error before especially with OO). I can't find a good way to fix it. Any ideas?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Try uninstall, reboot, install new version.

Comment

Open Office is toast. Oracle killed support.

Most of the major contributors have jumped off to work on LibreOffice so they could continue their developments. From what little I've heard, it appears to be at least marginally superior in a number of ways.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        Open Office is toast. Oracle killed support

Are you kidding me? I wrote both of my books on Open Office. That... that actually makes me a little sad. I need beer now.

Comment

It's not as bad as it seems. Pretty much everybody that was working on OOo is now working on LO. They'd have kept the same name, but Oracle wouldn't let them have it.

Ars Technica article about the fork in devlopment for OOo and LO

Ars Technica article on LO improvements

Ars Technica article on Oracle's decision regarding OO

When the project forked, they offered Oracle the chance to come over and keep them in the game and keep the OOo name, but Oracle wasn't willing to play in anyone else's sandbox, so instead of joining up, they instead pressured anyone involved in the fork to choose one or the other, and most, unsurprisingly, chose to move to LO.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, some research indicates that on Vista machines that could be an indicator of a virus. I run a scan...come to find out that one of the "safe" programs I had to download for one of my computer security classes did dump a virus on me <_< That's been taken care of...

Vista tells me that the copy of OO I just downloaded yesterday is corrupted (this has been happening for a few weeks actually)...in contrast to that typically taking ~45 minutes to download, LO is taking about 5 minutes.
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
            X