This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomly Multi-clicking Mouse

In the past several weeks, my mouse has taken to randomly double-, triple-, or even (rarely) quadruple-clicking on me when I try to single-click. I don't notice the problem when left-clicking, but I don't left-click nearly as frequently as I right-click. It seems sporadic, sometimes related to which direction I'm moving the mouse, and it's very very frustrating. For instance, I'll be highlighting something in a word processor or a webpage and just as I get to the end of the line, the mouse will react like I let go and clicked again, leaving me without the text selected. Or I'll go to close one tab in my browser, only to have the mouse double-click, closing the first tab and the second. Good thing IE is able to recover recently closed tabs.

So the question is this: does anyone know what might cause this, and if it's fixable? Or am I out of luck and just need to replace the thing?

The specs: the mouse is a 5+ year old USB optical mouse from Logitech, and aside from past jitteriness in XP (that may have just as likely been attributed to my computer as to the mouse, since it behaved itself on Hubby's laptop), it's worked wonderfully. It's a nice, basic optical mouse, with only the two standard buttons plus scroll wheel.
    If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 on a home-built system, but the multi-clicking is a more recent development than my upgrade to Win7.

What I've done so far: based on some mostly unhelpful Googling, I opened up the mouse and dusted it out to see if that would help. I removed some dustballs, but aside from initial cooperativeness from the mouse, there's been no noticeable change in its behavior.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

well normally if it is clicking way to many times, that isn't an issue with the light,
    As the mouse is around $10-18 depending on location and "features" I would just suggest replacing it with a new mouse as 5 plus years it has served you well and my guess is you have managed to wear out the internal switch, I have seen them fail much sooner.

More technical aspect is this
    I speculate that there should be some form a denouncing circuit in the mouse that when you click the mouse it only sees one click but in actuality when the connection is completed it can often mechanically bounce and without this circuit working properly result in multiple clicks.
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Yeah, I figured I'd end up just replacing this.

Oh well, guess I get to add mouse guts to the bin of computer innards awaiting a new life as a chess set.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Ok, weirdness.

My mouse decided to start behaving again as of sometime yesterday, after getting progressively worse. Now it's showing no signs whatsoever of multi-clicking. Of course, this is after I ordered a new mouse. Even got the e-mail today saying it arrived at my local store. Go figure.

I'll probably replace it anyway, since I just know this one will start acting up again the moment I return the new mouse.

Comment

that leads towards something being loose. I have one keyboard that the D key randomly quits working and you have to slam it just right to get it to work again for a random amount of time.
          I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
          X