Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawing tablet won't play nice with this computer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing tablet won't play nice with this computer.

This is ... some sort of HP laptop, older, duo core Intel processor with a 64-bit operating system. Processor says T7500 @ 2.20GHz with 4GB of RAM. It has Windows Vista Ultimate on it but it's not activated, I suspect it's some sort of pirated copy? I'm borrowing it from a friend who got it from an old roommate who couldn't make rent and it's a little iffy. Under normal circumstances I would just say "the issue is with this computer and its general sketchiness" and replace it with something legit, but I'm just borrowing it until my own computer comes back from the shop and don't want to invest money into it.

The problem is that I have the trial version of Photoshop CS5 on here and it's not playing nice with my Wacom Intuos4 drawing tablet. Basically the drivers are installed via the Wacom site but it only recognizes the tablet as a mouse, not as a tablet, so I don't get pressure sensitivity / line width variations based on pressure sensitivity. My Photoshop settings are the same as on my own laptop so it's definitely an issue with the tablet not registering properly - it won't recognize it as a drawing pen if I flip it over (it's supposed to erase automatically when it senses the eraser and won't do that either).

So I'm stuck with a glorified mouse and no access to my work computer which is just not good.

Already reinstalled the drivers for it and they seem to be the proper drivers. I could technically boot up from my external harddrive and run Photoshop off the clone of my own laptop, but I'm worried about overheating that hard drive. And my laptop has been in the shop twice now and they've been trying to figure out a fix for ages, so... if anyone has any suggestions for how to get the tablet to play nice, I would really appreciate them.

I realize that people here might not have much experience with the Wacom tablets but basically they install like a mouse or a printer where it uses a driver. It works like a mouse except that it should recognize the level of pressure sensitivity, the eraser button on the pen, and the buttons on the side of the tablet. It is doing none of those things. It's just letting me move it around as a mouse without any of the tablet abilities and it is getting incredibly frustrating.

Haaaaalp.

It's not some trial restriction of photoshp is it?

Drivers wise, click on the start menu, right click on the my computer link and select manage. This will bring up the computer management console, on the right click on device manager. Check there are no missing drivers.

Is it possible you were trying 32 bit drivers? Windows may have installed generic drivers from windows update which lack features.
    Not y3k compatible

Comment

I have a Gateway laptop that won't work with mine, either. I don't much care for this laptop, it's got way too many "features" that I would actually classify as "deliberate and inexplicable insults to the user". These "features" make it pretty much impossible to use a Wacum tablet on the damn thing.

Freaking annoying. I got no help for you. I wish I did.

My husband is a web developer and he's at a loss, too. So it ain't me and it ain't you.

Comment

I don't know how much it will help, but I had a similar issue with my setup when I first upgraded to Windows 7. I have Windows 7 Professional 32-bit and an Intuos2 tablet. When I first upgraded from XP, I tried installing the drivers from the Wacom disc that came with the tablet, which worked about halfway (recognized as mouse, screen mapping, but no pressure sensitivity or eraser-sensing). I grabbed the latest driver for the tablet from the website and installed it, but the problems stuck around, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong.

What actually solved my problem was completely uninstalling the drivers and software for the tablet so that there was nothing Wacom related on my computer, then installed just the driver file from the website before even hooking up the tablet. Worked like a charm, and now it behaves itself.

So my main suggestion is to completely uninstall the wacom stuff from your computer, then install the latest driver from the site for the tablet/OS combo you have, and see how well that works.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Well, I have my laptop back and have given this one back to my friend, so while he and I would both like to know how to make it work (he has the same tablet) it is no longer so urgent.

I did delete/uninstall all the drivers and do it from scratch but it's still doing the same thing.

It's not a trial restriction on photoshop, I do know that much.

Comment

Working...
          X