This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI video - worth it?

I'm debating if I should refurbish an older computer that only has PCI slots.

My plan is to get a good video card (256MB-512MB) with HDMI output, reload the computer with a basic OS, Chrome, etc.. and hook it up to he TV in the bedroom with a wireless keyboard and mouse to watch internet TV from (Hulu, etc.).

The basics on the system is Intel 945G (Pentium D 800MHz FSB) - not sure on the processor speed. It has 2GB RAM (4X 512MB). Integrated Intel graphics (hence the extra video card).

I'm wondering if it is worth it (I'm expecting $150ish for a wireless keyboard & mouse video card, and wireless NIC) or should I just save up and get a really cheap system from Dell outlet.

I also have a slightly newer system that has PCI-E but tat system is being used right now (NWN server).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

my quick check of my usual parts places doesnt show many cards with hdmi output and pci, although you may be able to find a dvi to hdmi cable or converter that would improve your savings and get a decent card to boot,
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

One of the things a new video card will handle is video decoding, which means the rest of the system can be pretty much anything.

DVI-D and HDMI are compatible, so you can get a cable that goes between the two. (In fact, my current monitor came with such a cable, as it only has HDMI input.) This should greatly expand your range of suitable graphics cards.

Just don't expect to do any real gaming on it.

Before you spend any money though, have a look at the available AMD Fusion E-350 Mini-ITX boards just coming onto the market. These will be just as capable as what you're putting together (if not more so), will fit into most standard cases, and *might* be cheaper since they are fully integrated. They may even be quieter, which can be important.

Comment

DO NOT BUY FROM THE DELL OUTLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        I made that mistake and thought I was saving money, it was a horrible experience, I ended up having the computer for 8.5 weeks and it broke. It took them several days to ship a part that didn't fix the computer. Actually it took a day, but it took another day to track down the tech who was supposed to come fix the computer because they gave him my wrong info. Then that part didn't fix the computer, they needed a motherboard and went to send 20 other things along with it such as the Front Bezel..... which had no use to the computer NOT TURNING ON. It was actually quicker to get an refund 30 days after the maximum allowed for a refund than it was to get them to ship the parts over a week later.

I had a "scratch and dent model" slight blemish on the side, but keep in mind your buying someone else's problem. I really thought I was being smooth by saving $300-400 compared to the local sales in NEWEGG, in the end I had to spend more time and moeny on building a computer plus all the dell run around.

As far as upgrading the old one it might also cost a lot for the upgrades, compared to what you could get with a new computer. Depending on the quality you might want to watch and S-video out might work fine. Also keep in mind some of the old processor don't really have the power to render HD all to well and might get bogged down. I have 1GB video card and still have trouble with some Hi def stuff in Itunes along with a quad core 3.2GHz. I think mine is mainly optimization issues as I have seen some of those atom pcs supposed to do just fine with really stripped down hardware.
        Last edited by underemployeed; 07-20-2011, 06:01 PM.
        I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth underemployeed View Post
          DO NOT BUY FROM THE DELL OUTLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Also, the scratch and dent models are NOT returns (they have a separate section for returns and refurbs).
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            I've had nothing but good luck with them.

Also, the scratch and dent models are NOT returns (they have a separate section for returns and refurbs).
            When I bought my laptop 6 years ago they were top notch, after my experience back in Feb-April, I will never do business with them again. I thought the scratch and dent weren't returns either, until I noticed the built date, and the refurb tag on the bottom. If you read the really fine print the scratch and dent are allowed to also be refurbs, not just new systems that got blemished.

Considering the system lasted a whole 2 months and died, I was not really impressed. There tech support actually used to be worth something, and I was told if I wanted to speak to an American person I had to subscribe to the service that costs $249 a year (for my $436 computer)
            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Working...
            X